Police make burglary arrest

news

Police say students on West Fourth Street were burglarized while they were out of town during Thanksgiving break. Quinn Western

University Police discovered narcotics and numerous pieces of property stolen from Chico State students when officers stopped a car Friday for running the Warner Street bridge stop sign.

One man fled the vehicle while the vehicle’s driver yielded to police.

The driver, 41-year-old Chico resident Joseph Carlucci, was arrested on suspicion of possession of methamphetamine and stolen property.

Police found property from at least one student residence during a search of the vehicle, according to a press release from University Police.

All of the occupants were out of town during Thanksgiving break and there were signs of forced entry at the residence.

The second man who ran on foot has still not been identified. Police described him as a Hispanic male between 20 and 30 years old wearing dark clothing and a black beanie.

The department is continuing the investigation to find victims of other burglaries that occurred in the area.

Burglary reports more than tripled this September compared to September 2011, going from 33 in 2011 to 110 this year, said Bob Woodward, a crime analyst for the Chico Police Department in a previous interview with The Orion.

“It is significant for our department,” Woodward said. “It is obviously very significant for the entire city.”

Two hundred eighty-four burglaries were reported in Chico from July to September.

<strong>Quinn Western can be reached at</strong> <a href=”mailto:[email protected]”><em>[email protected]</em></a>