Man pleads not guilty

Jorge Barrientos

OROVILLE — The 23-year-old man who was arrested in connection with the homicide of a Chico native last week pleaded not guilty Tuesday morning in the Butte County Superior Court.

William Thomas Schmitz pleaded not guilty to an open-count murder charge after the death of Chad Keichler, 24. Keichler died after he was shot in the head at 1:49 a.m. Oct. 3 at the intersection of Normal Avenue and West Third Street outside of Normal Street Bar.

A crowd formed outside of the bar just after closing time when a verbal dispute erupted between Keichler and Schmitz, police said.

The crowd began to disperse when Schmitz pulled out a gun and shot Keichler below the chin, police said. Keichler was pronounced dead at the scene.

Roseville police arrested Schmitz, 23, about 10:30 a.m. on Oct. 3, Chico police Sgt. Dave Barrow said. Police received a tip he was staying with relatives.

After receiving a search warrant, police searched and found large quantities of drugs, including about five pounds of marijuana and about 300 grams of crystal methamphetamines, said Mike Ramsey, Butte County district attorney.

Schmitz faces an open-count murder charge, which means he could be charged with first-degree or second-degree murder. A special enhancement charge is also added because a firearm was used in the homicide, Ramsey said.

Schmitz also pleaded not guilty to possession for sale of a controlled substance and for possession for sale marijuana, Ramsey said.

Schmitz’s attorney, Eric Ortner, was not available for comment by press time.

If found guilty, Schmitz could face a maximum of 25 years to life in prison for murder, and an additional 25 years to life in prison for murder with a firearm, Ramsey said. Schmitz could face three years in prison for each drug possession charge.

Police are still investigating the incident, Barrow said. Photos of Schmitz are being withheld while witnesses are questioned.

Schmitz will appear at 8:30 a.m. on Oct. 24 for a preliminary hearing at the Butte County Superior Court in Oroville.

The hearing will determine when examination of the case will begin, Ramsey said.

Then the judge will hear the evidence on the case.

“Everything needs to be examined,” Ramsey said.

In the meantime, Keichler’s friends at Chico State are trying to get back in school mode, said Heather Watroba, a Chico State graduate student.

She and a group of about 10 other friends have missed numerous classes since the death of Keichler, Watroba said.

She attended school with Keichler at Bidwell Junior High School and Pleasant Valley High School, she said.

Watroba and friends were unable to attend the hearing on Tuesday because they had to attend class, she said.

Keichler was a great friend to many Chico State students, she said, and his death came as a shock to all of his friends.

“He was super nice, genuine and kindhearted,” Watroba said. “It’s going to take a long time to have closure.”

Jorge Barrientos can be reached at

<a href= “mailto:[email protected]”>[email protected]</a>