Bluegrass, folk band brings heat on cold night

entertainment

Juan Mejia

On a night full of fog, cold air, freezing cars and heavy darkness, Chicoans put on their winter suits to go out and support local music.

Musicians waited under a heating lamp for their turns to go on stage, and spectators gathered to talk before heading into the warm, body-heat-filled Lost on Main venue Friday night.

First to go on stage was the Poa Porch Band, who, within seconds of strumming the upright bass, lively violin and jumpy banjo, got their hometown audience shaking off the cold.

The fast-paced bluegrass style with hints of rock quickly led to chained arms, clapping and wild cheers from the crowd. The band announced that it was bass player Spencer Holmes’ birthday and last show. Holmes got an impromptu happy birthday wish and shared a group hug with his soon-to-be ex-band after playing the last song.

“We’re a bluegrass band, but we like to explore different types of styles,” Holmes said. “A lot of musicians in our band came from different influences. Each member has something special about them.”

Chico has been friendly to them, but the band’s real challenge is getting the college crowd into bluegrass-heavy shows, he said. Awareness of how good the music is might help that aspect.

Chico needs to broaden its horizons and expand beyond what’s played on the radio, said Martina Rocks, a fan in the audience.

“I want the variety, a live band, not a DJ that’s just sitting there,” she said.

This music appeals to her scene, she said. There’s the high school crowd and the older crowd, and a large portion of what’s in the middle, the non-college student which is where she says she fits in, that is into this type of music.

As the night grew colder and people started cooling down from the show, the intermission provided some breathing room for what was coming next.

As the Dead Winter Carpenters took the stage, the adrenaline was at its peak. The crowded dance floor and energy coming from the room were noticeable as jackets came off and sweat ran down audience members’ faces.

The crowd’s energy was fueled as brutal violin grinding and funky sounds made their way from the front of the venue to the back and bounced back into the medley.

The Dead Winter Carpenters finished their longest tour and are ready to record their second album, guitarist Jesse Dunn said.

“We do a lot of folk and bluegrass and rock ‘n’ roll,” he said. “I think we’re a lot heavier than what a lot of people expect from a bluegrass band.”

As the show came to a close, spectators went home before the reality of the dead winter night kicked in. The crowd dissipated, and Main Street’s temperature dropped a few more degrees.

<hr />

<strong>Juan Mejia can be reached at

</strong><em>[email protected]</em>

1. Poa Porch
  2. Poa Porch