1997: Chico State helps provide safe trick-or-treating for kids

features

Looking BackGina Pence

<strong>THEN</strong>

<em>”Campus offers Halloween alternative for kids” Oct. 29, 1997</em>

Halloween in Chico has a rich tradition of crazy parties and plenty of entertainment for adults. However, for children who live in Chico, the opportunities for trick-or-treating can sometimes be limited.

Chico State hosted the 13th Annual Halloween Carnival Oct. 31, 1997, to give families a safe Halloween experience.

The 1996 Halloween carnival, which hosted 2,000 kids, was an opportunity for the campus to give back to the community, said Jodi Wall, formerly of A.S. Programming.

“It helps establish a good reputation for the school and it’s a way we can give back to the community,” Wall said.

Giving children a safe place to have fun was one of the priorities of the carnival.

During Halloween weekend, the police department was forced to focus on the south side of Chico where the parties were, said Mike O’Brien of the Chico Police Department, who is now a lieutenant. By having an event that was catered to children, it gave them a safe place to enjoy Halloween.

“This is a controlled, safe event for kids,” O’Brien said. “Parents know where the candy is coming from and they don’t have to send their kids into unfriendly neighborhoods.”

<strong>NOW</strong>

The 11th Annual Treat Street event, which replaced the carnival, now includes the downtown business area while serving younger members of the community.

Children 12 and younger are invited to go to downtown from 2 to 5 p.m. on Sunday to trick-or-treat in Chico stores.

In addition to trick-or-treating, a costume contest, a bounce house and food vendors will entertain the young participants.

The Downtown Chico Business Association, along with sponsors from Associated Students, Chico State and the community, put together the event for children and the community, said Stephanie Yunker, event coordinator for the Downtown Chico Business Association.

“It’s for the kids who may not be able to go out after dark, or who may live in bad areas and chances to trick-or-treat may be limited,” she said.

In the past, police discouraged people from going downtown because of raucous parties. The Downtown Chico Business Association worked to bring a better tradition to the downtown area and to encourage people to shop downtown.

“Instead of shutting it down, we tried turning it around,” Yunker said.

<em>- Compiled by Gina Pence</em>