Wildcat women’s basketball team clinches conference title

sports

Jake Martin

With an 84-75 overtime road win over Cal State Monterey Bay, Chico State’s women’s basketball team captured the California Collegiate Athletic Association title.

“We were pumped before the game, we just felt like this was ours,” said sophomore guard Hannah Womack.

After struggling in the first half and going into halftime down 31-29 the Wildcats surged back to tie the game in the final minute of regulation at 62 points, sending Friday’s game into overtime.

Womack put the game away with clutch shooting and critical free throws.

Womack led the ’Cats in scoring with 23 points off the bench as well as three rebounds and three steals.

Junior point guard Courtney Hamilton had a strong overall game with 18 points to go along with her four assists, two rebounds and two blocks but was injured in the final minute of overtime and was showing concussion-like symptoms.

Junior guard Jazmine Miller chipped in with 15 points while senior forward Monnie Davidson-Mays had nine points and a team-leading five rebounds.

The win moved the Wildcats to 22-4 overall and 18-4 in the CCAA going into the conference playoffs.

“To be honest I’m overwhelmed, we’re all just so happy right now,” Womack said. “I’m just excited to be a part of this team and to be playing so well.”

The next time the ’Cats play is Tuesday at Acker Gym when the first round of the playoffs begin.

<strong>Jake Martin can be reached at</strong> <a href=”mailto:[email protected]”><em>[email protected]</em></a>