A.S. could help absorb campus costs

Alexander Seymour

The number one priority of a university is to provide the best possible level and quality of education to students within the scope of available funding. Other objectives or services may be a bonus, but if this foundational goal is not being satisfied, then a university is little more than a community center or health club.

As a new semester begins, campus officials have not ruled out future furloughs. The state budget is still reeling and it is not foolish to expect our school to take further financial hits.So what should be said next time the Wildcat Recreation Center is open on furlough days, but not the Meriam Library? This funding decision would certainly not be beneficial to the quality of education offered to the student body. A review of priorities is clearly needed here.However, the argument that funding should simply be diverted from WREC services and used to operate the library &- a proposition I have heard several times &- is not a proper solution, nor is it even necessary. An easier, less painful resolution appears when we take a look at the different ways the two facilities are funded.The library receives its funding directly from tuition and the state, which has struggled under the economic decline and California’s poor fiscal-management policies. The WREC, on the other hand, is funded by Associated Students.This body is responsible for supporting recreation, athletics, Adventure Outings and the Women’s Center, whose costs are paid for by the students through fees agreed and voted on by A.S. As students, we are not usually aware of this distinction. We simply pay a single “tuition check,” but the figure given to us actually represents tuition and completely separate A.S. fees.Because it is funded independently from the state, A.S. is cushioned from the California budget crisis and is in an excellent position to support critical educational facilities, such as the library.In this situation, A.S. could vote to raise temporary funding for the library so it can remain open during potential academic furlough days. This could be done by either increasing annual student fees or diverting existing funds from current projects.The diversion of necessary funds would be minor. The library could operate on a skeleton staff on furloughs. Normal government-funded library staff cannot, by law, work during furloughs, so temporary student employees could be used &- possibly drawn directly from the A.S. workforce. For the three academic furlough days last semester, total staff overhead costs were $4,638. In other terms, it would have cost each student approximately 27 cents each semester.What A.S. could do for the library, it could do for other threatened facilities, be it an art studio, computer design lab or engineering hall. As long as the amount needed does not become obtrusive when it’s time for students to pay fees, A.S. can act as a buttress for our campus. Today, the library still lacks the availability it had a year ago, with Friday and weekend hours remaining insufficient for those who try to remain studious during those times. The proposal for funding the library during furloughs could be modified to ensure the facility is open longer. I am not suggesting that the student body be forced to choose between its library and its first-rate fitness facility, since it is clear that such a choice is not necessary. First and foremost, we are students here to learn. A.S. should use its sheltered position to alleviate some of the failures of state-run education. All that is left is to bring the situation to the attention of our A.S. representatives.

Alexander Seymour can be reached at <a href= “javascript:void(location.href=’mailto:’+String.fromCharCode(97,115,101,121,109,111,117,114,64,116,104,101,111,114,105,111,110,46,99,111,109)+’?subject=RE%3A%20A.S.%20could%20help%20absorb%20campus%20costs’)”> [email protected]</a>

1. A.S. could help absorb campus costs