Hint of racism lingers in many parents

opinion

Dani Aguiano

We live in a post-racial era. At least that’s what we like to think.

I previously thought racists hid behind computer screens and white hoods, but after hearing my friend’s father talk politics, I learned that things weren’t quite that simple.

Many people don’t consider racism a 21st century problem and wouldn’t expect others in their lives to have biases.

While my friend’s father wasn’t a member of the Ku Klux Klan, his words about minorities made it clear he doesn’t have a high opinion of them. Rather than express my outrage about his commentary, I kept quiet.

I wish I hadn’t.

It can be challenging enough to address the ignorant language of friends and peers, but it’s nearly impossible to tell your friend’s parents when they are being offensive.

In order to prevent such situations, topics like religion and politics should, with good reason, be avoided. The very thought of having to discuss politics and religion can make people squirm.

We are judged about everything from what we believe in, whom we think should be elected and our opinions on immigration. This is why I usually sit silently when people, especially parents, say things I find offensive.

But my passiveness has to change. Rather than always ignoring the comments and avoiding eye contact, there are times when something can, and should, be done.

The next time your BFF’s mom starts ranting about how all Mexicans are here illegally, you have a choice. You can be silent, or you can say something.

While it may not always seem like a good idea, there are some instances when you can express your thoughts without the situation turning into a yelling match.

Sometimes people start talking nonsense when they are in their homes and around people with whom they are comfortable. In order to stop others from making comments that will further empower racist notions, a harmless invitation to elaborate will often help people realize they are spewing a bigoted rant.

An actual conversation can be beneficial for everyone involved. Too often, we avoid certain subjects or avoid speaking at all.

By offering your own knowledge and opinions in a respectful and calm manner, you can casually show people that you are listening.

However, in order to do so, you should assess the situation and see if the other person is willing to listen to what you have to say. Their response indicates if you should continue or not. If the other person continues making offensive comments, it is best to walk away.

Not everyone will say racist things, but most people will say something offensive at some point or another. It isn’t always worth it, but sometimes letting someone know they are being offensive is the right thing to do. The opinions of other listeners or even the speaker might be changed.

<hr />

<strong>Dani Anguiano can be reached at</strong> <a href=”mailto:[email protected]”><em>[email protected]</em></a>

1. Dani Anguiano
  2. Racism