The Orion

Students evacuate University Village due to fire initiated by a vape

A+fire+at+University+Village%27s+building+two+caused+students+to+evacuate+Thrudsay+night.+Photo+credit%3A+Michelle+Zhu
Back to Article
Back to Article

Students evacuate University Village due to fire initiated by a vape

A fire at University Village's building two caused students to evacuate Thrudsay night. Photo credit: Michelle Zhu

A fire at University Village's building two caused students to evacuate Thrudsay night. Photo credit: Michelle Zhu

A fire at University Village's building two caused students to evacuate Thrudsay night. Photo credit: Michelle Zhu

A fire at University Village's building two caused students to evacuate Thrudsay night. Photo credit: Michelle Zhu

Michelle Zhu

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Shortly before midnight on Thursday, a fire alarm cued students to evacuate University Village.

Resident Adviser Mitzi Felix immediately called for residents to enter the parking lot and subsequently initiated a phone call to the Chico Police Department.

The area wreaked of a burning smell and smoke was visibly exiting a wide open door.

At 11:42 p.m., Chico police arrived at the scene to check for injuries. Firefighters arrived soon after.

Captain of fire patrol Chuck Fry reported it was an accidental fire caused by a vape in the bathroom. The fire was extinguished upon the officials’ arrival.

No students were injured and were allowed back inside by midnight.

Michelle Zhu can be reached at [email protected] or @mmichellezhuu on Twitter.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Leave a Comment

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.




Navigate Left
  • Students evacuate University Village due to fire initiated by a vape

    Breaking News

    Possible measles exposure locations on Chico State campus and throughout Butte County

  • Students evacuate University Village due to fire initiated by a vape

    Breaking News

    Campus asks for responsible participation in Cesar Chavez Day

  • Students evacuate University Village due to fire initiated by a vape

    Breaking News

    Police respond to rumors of man on campus asking suspicious questions

  • Students evacuate University Village due to fire initiated by a vape

    Breaking News

    Consistent rainfall causes a string of evacuations

  • Students evacuate University Village due to fire initiated by a vape

    Breaking News

    Evacuation warnings and flooding caused by steady rainfall

  • Students evacuate University Village due to fire initiated by a vape

    Breaking News

    Red Cross shelter evacuation slows as protests stall

  • Students evacuate University Village due to fire initiated by a vape

    Breaking News

    Firefighters push Camp Fire from Chico city limits

  • Students evacuate University Village due to fire initiated by a vape

    Breaking News

    Photos: Camp Fire devastates Paradise, forces evacuations

  • Students evacuate University Village due to fire initiated by a vape

    Breaking News

    Camp Fire Day One: Thousands evacuate through Paradise and Chico

  • Students evacuate University Village due to fire initiated by a vape

    Breaking News

    Body found at Kendall Hall, police investigation ongoing

Navigate Right
X
The student news site of California State University, Chico
Students evacuate University Village due to fire initiated by a vape