Newly elected A.S. vice president talks plans for future

After working in Chico State housing for two years, Brett Rahtz feels like he can do more to help the university. Photo credit: George Johnston

After nearly a day of fierce voting, the A.S. vice president of business and finance of Chico State was elected on April 13. Brett Rahtz, the new vice president of business and finance recently sat down with The Orion to answer some questions and talk about his plans for Chico State.

How long have you been attending Chico State?

Rahtz: I have been here almost four years. My first semester was fall 2012.

What are you majoring in?

I am majoring in business administration, and I have options in management and entrepreneurship with a minor in marketing.

Why did you run for vice president?

Well it’s pretty awesome. It’s basically what I want to be when I grow up — to be a business leader and hopefully one day run my own business in the future.

You know I’ve been here for almost four years, I’ve worked in housing for two and a half years, so I feel like I want to move on and help the university more than I could.

What do you hope to accomplish as vice president, and how are going to work with Michael Pratt?

Michael is amazing. This position is really just about listening and implementing the student voice. I want to use my experience in marketing and my studies to reach out to students, and get them more engaged and involved in the process and listen to them more as we implement our business decisions.

What are your plans as vice president?

There’s so much we can do with the Internet and social media now, it makes it even easier to reach out to students. We can reach out to them at home and just not on campus. One thing I have been talking to a lot of students about is something they really want is getting more university food on campus. We have one of the best university farmers in the nation and why not be proud of that. Let’s enjoy that and the fruits of their labor. I have been speaking to ag professors, and they think that is totally possible and something they would like to do. It would be something I would like to do next year.

What are your plans for working with Chico State administration?

Well it’s going to be a lot of fun. Chico is up for some new changes and we’ll see how Gayle wants to work with us. She seems very qualified, sharp and it will be great next year, turning over a new leaf in Chico State’s history.

Yang Dai and George Johnston can be reached at[email protected] or @theorion_news on Twitter