‘Wonder’ revolves around the son

August

August "Auggie" Pullman and his mother Isabel hold hands before Auggie begins his first day of 5th grade. Photo by the Wonder website

Based on the children’s novel of the same name by R.J. Palacios, “Wonder” follows the heartfelt tale of August “Auggie” Pullman (Jacob Tremblay), a young boy with facial deformities. After many years of being home-schooled, Auggie’s parents Isabel (Julia Roberts) and Nate (Owen Wilson) decide to send him to elementary school in order to experience the real world.

The movie is divided into four perspectives: the general third-person limited, Auggie’s sister Via’s perspective on how her little brother has become the center of the family, Auggie’s friend Jack’s true feelings towards Auggie and Via’s friend Miranda and her reasoning for avoiding Via ever since Miranda returned from summer camp.

Dividing up the movie was a great way to learn about other characters since the film primarily focuses on Auggie’s journey. It was a clear transition between character perspectives and each character explained why they acted the way they did. I wish they included one of Auggie’s parents because they had a big role in sending Auggie to traditional school.

Auggie’s social transformation is phenomenal since he goes from a shy kid who refuses to take off an astronaut helmet to the kid that stands up to bullies that are two years older than him. He really starts opening up to the other children, especially to Jack and Summer.

One of my favorite parts was when Jack gets into a fight with Julian, Auggie’s main bully. The principal, Mr. Tushman, gives Jack a two-day suspension because Tushman says that he recognizes good friends when he sees them.

The best part of the film for me was when Auggie’s bully Julian got called into the principal’s office for leaving disturbing notes on Auggie’s desk and locker. Julian’s parents were benefactors of the school, but the principal valued a child’s ability to go to school more than money.

The film does an excellent job conveying the messages that people are more than what meets the eye. In the beginning, Auggie is bullied and called names by the other children, but over time his classmates and teachers really get to know what a special person he is. His principal gives a heartfelt speech about Auggie’s contributions before sending him off to middle school.

With many different positive messages for people of all ages, it’s no wonder this film received five out of five stars from me.

Julia Maldonado can be reached at [email protected] or @julianewsblog on Twitter.