• A girl and her dog enjoy the blue cloudy skies and fresh air on a walk in Cannonville, Utah, appreciating the beauty of nature and calming energy it brings. Taken by Ava Aragon on July 29, 2023.

10 ways to celebrate Earth Day

• Photo of Katie Callahan, who ran the event. An art history major in her senior year, she is the single student employed by Wellcat Safe Place. Taken on April 18th, 2024

Affirmative consent: What is it?

• 2023-24 Chico State men’s golf team in front of Kendall Hall. Courtesy: Jason Haley/Chico State photographer

Chico State men’s golf prepares for upcoming conference championship

Therapy dogs come to campus for Valentine’s Day

Event coordinator, Brooke Kogima, smiles with her favorite donut. Photo credit: Danielle Cortes

The annual “Dogs and Donuts” event returned to give students a chance to unwind and pet dogs for Valentine’s Day this week.

The event took place on Wednesday in the Hub from 2 p.m. – 4 p.m. All students were welcome to stop by to enjoy a free complimentary donut, while being accompanied by various therapeutic dogs.

Therapy dog
One of the many dogs who visited students for the Dogs N' Donuts event. Photo credit: Danielle Cortes

Sophomore Brooke Kogima, the event’s coordinator, said, “I was really excited about this event because it was planned to take place on mental health awareness week, which promotes a feeling of happiness for students who attend.”

Students who attended seemed to be very spirited as they were allowed to pet the dogs.

Therapeutic dogs are known for easing feelings of anxiousness and stress by releasing calming endorphins. It is no surprise that these dogs are also available to pet on campus during Finals Week.

Kogima added, “This event took place last year as well, and was a huge success.”

Danielle Cortes can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_news on Twitter.