• Nate Farrington, new director of Adventure Outings, holding up some climbing rope that needs to be organized. Taken by Maki Chapman on February 8th, 2024

Nate Farrington takes the lead as Adventure Outings’ director

Cinemark bans large bags from movie theatres as security precaution

Cinemark Tinseltown in Chico instilled its new bag policy on Thursday. Photo credit: Josh Cozine

As of Thursday, large bags are no longer allowed inside Chico’s Cinemark 14 Tinseltown theater.

The change comes as an effort to “enhance the safety and security of our guests and employees,” according to a release from Cinemark.

Bags larger than 12 inches by 12 inches and six inches high will be subject to the new enforcement, other than medical and diaper bags.

Cinemark also stated it will not provide a general area to check bags or any other personal belongings not allowed into the theatre, and that the company reserves the right to inspect all bags and packages.

Assistant manager Michael Braun at Cinemark 14 said the change comes from the corporate level, but was able to shed some light on the situation at Chico.

There will be no extra check-in process. If your bag is too big, “whoever is taking tickets will have to turn you away,” Braun said.

However “we aren’t going to dig through your bags,” Braun said. He said he thinks Cinemark has always reserved that right, but that they don’t do it.

Braun couldn’t speak on the reasoning behind the new rule. “You’d have to talk to corporate for that,” he said.

Cinemark could not be reached for further statement, but the updated bag and package policy can be found on their website.

Josh Cozine can be reached at [email protected] or @joshcozine on Twitter.