Intoxicated driver causes fatal crash north of Chico

An intoxicated driver killed a passenger of a freight-liner in a crash on Highway 99 early Saturday morning.

According to the California Highway Patrol in Chico, the intoxicated driver, identified as 24-year-old Adnan Mubarak, was speeding northbound on Highway 99 around 5 a.m. Saturday.

Mubarak attempted to pass the freight-liner just north of Vina Road, but instead crashed into the vehicle’s left front wheel and lost control of his car. Mubarak’s car spun around and ended up in the southbound lane, while the freight-liner swerved off the road and crashed into an oak tree, causing the trailer it was carrying to disconnect and tip over.

The passenger of the freight-liner, a 50-year-old man from Florida, was killed. He has still not been named by police. The driver, 57-year-old Miguel Ullan, had to be airlifted to Enloe Medical Center after it was found he suffered serious internal injuries.

Mubarak suffered no injuries from the incident and was promptly arrested by authorities after they determined he was intoxicated. The charges he will face are still unknown.

Josiah Nicholl can be reached at [email protected] or @joey_theorion on Twitter.