Not Anymore deemed helpful yet repetitive

Title IX Coordinator Dylan Saake doesn't believe Not Anymore will solve the issue of sexual violence, but he does think it can be a useful resource for many students. Photo credit: Maria Ramirez

Kelsi Sibert

Each year, students at Chico State are required to participate in an online or in-person “inner personal violence awareness and prevention program.”

Not Anymore is designed to make sure that all students have an understanding of Title IX issues such as sexual assault, dating domestic violence and stalking.

Title IX Coordinator Dylan Saake said that this program helps students learn about a variety of preventive measures.

“(Not Anymore is) a violence prevention awareness program (involving) issues around sexual misconduct, dating domestic violence, stalking, bystander intervention (and) community attitudes,” Saake said.

First-time freshmen have the most extensive version of the program, as they are said to be at greater risk. Transfer and graduate students have an hour-long version of Not Anymore. Once all students have gone through the program once, they are required to take a 20-minute refresher course each school year.

This program reaches every student on the Chico State campus and the topic of the program changes often so that students aren’t learning the same thing each time they participate.

The online version is the most common way students take Not Anymore, but in-person classes that cover the same topics are also offered.

“There’s also a class that’s part of the regular curriculum,” Saake said. “Students who are registered for that class meet the requirement as well.”

The Not Anymore program has been around for three years now but each year it has evolved. At first just freshmen, transfers and graduate students took the program. However, now all Chico State students must take it whether it’s the full program or just the abbreviated refresher course.

Prior to Not Anymore, incoming freshmen were required to take part in Alcohol Edu. This program had a component of sexual assault violence prevention and education.

Za'Corry Patterson

Chico State senior Za'Corry Patterson believes the Not Anymore program could be shorter while teaching the same information. Photo credit: Kelsi Sibert

Some Chico State students like senior Za’Corry Patterson have voiced mixed opinions about Not Anymore.

“I feel like it’s a good program ran online, I just feel like it’s really, really lengthy and kind of repetitive,” Patterson said.

Additionally, students like sophomore Dymar Dixon questioned whether students actually take the program seriously or whether students just want to get it done quickly by just clicking through each page.

“Personally, I normally skim through the Not Anymore program because I know my capabilities as a person and I know what to do and what not to do,” Dixon said.

Junior Veronica Cruz said that she took the program seriously the first time, but now when she does the refresher courses she just lets the videos play through to wait to answer the questions as they appear.

“I feel like it’s the same information we already got,” Cruz said. “It would be easier to condense it, get to the point and let us know the results and everything that’s going on.”

Veronica Cruz

Chico State junior Veronica Cruz feels that the Not Anymore program is repetitive and thinks the information should be condensed. Photo credit: Kelsi Sibert

Though some may find it to be lengthy, others like senior Kellie Decius were able to benefit from the program. Decius said it was a good program for her to go through.

“I think I became more knowledgeable (about) the subject,” she said. “I knew it was a big thing, but I didn’t know about all the details.”

As far as stopping sexual assault, Saake said that Not Anymore is not going to prevent all sexual violence, but the program could have the potential to help someone.

“This online program is not going to change and stop sexual assault, but it might stop one,” Saake said, “and it might be something that is a resource for someone who needs it.”

Kelsi Sibert can be reached at [email protected] or @ksibertofficial on Twitter.