Momentum dances its way through spring showcase

(Left to right) Alexyss York, Bailey Gould, Sarah Fong and Alex Mendoza perform a tap dancing number to Christina Aguilera's

(Left to right) Alexyss York, Bailey Gould, Sarah Fong and Alex Mendoza perform a tap dancing number to Christina Aguilera's "Express." Photo credit: Julia Maldonado

Sparkly tops, baseball jerseys and burlesque outfits filled the Bell Memorial Union Auditorium stage Saturday at 2 and 7 p.m., thanks to Momentum.

This student-run dance organization rehearsed all semester in order to put on its annual spring showcase, with some help from hip-hop dance group Envy. For the first time ever, Momentum sold out one of its shows.

Comprised of 80 students, Momentum has a vast amount of dance skills and students involved. It is “all inclusive, offers multiple styles and offers all levels from beginning to advanced,” according to the show’s pamphlet.

The showcase consisted of different forms of dances, such as contemporary, hip-hop and tap, as well as duos and solos. Some dances showcased elegant lifts while others included nerdy costumes. A few catchy songs like “Count on Me,” “Crazy” and “Bleeding Love” were incorporated into the dances.

Sophomore Lexie Rivera has been on Momentum for two semesters and wants to continue until she graduates. She said that Momentum allowed her to keep doing what she loves.

“I have danced for 11 years and when I came to college, it was hard to just let go,” she said in a phone interview. “Momentum gave me the chance to continue my love for dance.”

Julia Maldonado
Melanie Aparicio (left) and Vivie Pan (right) perform a hip-hop dance choreographed by Alex Mendoza.

President of Momentum Jiselle Mariano took over the dance group this semester after president of three years Rachel Fictum stepped down. Mariano said that although there were many challenges along the way, selling out one of their shows was one of the best things that could have happened.

“Leading a group of 80 dancers can be challenging at times, but it’s so rewarding seeing how much they’ve grown in a span of 10 weeks,” Mariano said. “Their love for dance, the way they express themselves in this art form and dedication to Momentum makes leading fun and a breeze. I can’t thank them enough for working so hard.”

Mariano also wants to add more socials and team-bonding events for next semester’s dancers. Her goals for the future are to include more guest teachers leading the dance classes and working with other dance clubs.

Momentum’s next showcase will be sometime at the end of the fall semester.

Julia Maldonado can be reached at [email protected] or @julianewsblog on Twitter.