Students suggest change at Chico State through post-its

Several comments were both written and post-it noted about improving biking on, and near campus, Tuesday, at both FutureFest sessions. Photo credit: Josh Cozine

Mathew Miranda and Josh Cozine

Poster papers were filled with writing and stuck with post-its, making suggestions, large and small, as to how to improve Chico State into the future.

FutureFest’s first two sessions featured an abundance of topics to discuss. After a presentation led by SmithGroup — the design and architecture firm in charge of the new physical science building, who was again employed by the university to work on the campus master plan and strategic plan — outlining the timeline of events, a brainstorming workshop took place with attendees filling up large, categorized, poster papers with ideas. At the opening student session, students seemed drawn to one issue in particular.

“Bikes came up as the hottest topic in terms of trying to improve facilities on campus. Making sure there’s bicycle parking in safe areas and they’re close to facilities,” said Lauren Leighty, principal planner for SmithGroup.

P1000356 - Copy.JPG

Larger crowds showed up during the second session, open to the entire community, Tuesday at the second FutureFest session that day. More sessions will be held Oct. 2-4. Photo credit: Josh Cozine

She cited a new university study that concluded approximately 78 percent of Chico State students are from outside the county, which is why she believes transportation and biking are such important topics for the student population.

Thomas McNairn, a 5th year Biology major, spoke to organizers on issues ranging from sustainability to transportation. He appreciated the open discussion between students and faculty rather than a traditional classroom type lecture.

“I really liked the way they’re really involving all the students in terms of asking us what our input is. I hope they take what we are saying into account, but I really enjoyed this whole session was around us and not just a lecture. I appreciate that,” McNarin said.

FutureFest continues next week from Tuesday to Thursday in Colusa Hall 100. All students and faculty are welcomed to come give their input.