Downtown Christmas event brings joy to community and relief to Camp Fire victims

Children happily run up to greet Santa as he pulls up in a vintage firetruck to help light the Christmas tree in the downtown plaza. Photo credit: Olyvia Simpson

Olyvia Simpson

Members of the community gathered in Downtown Chico during the cold weather Sunday night to enjoy the 40th Annual Christmas Preview, where a portion of proceeds went toward Camp Fire relief efforts.

choirOPT.jpg

The Chico High Choir dressed up in old century clothing and sang festive Christmas carols. Photo credit: Olyvia Simpson

The event was originally scheduled for Nov 18, but after the events of the Camp Fire, the holiday event was rescheduled for Dec 2.

calfireOPT.jpg

Cal Fire had a table set-up with information about readjustment after wildfires and fire safety for those interested in learning more. Photo credit: Olyvia Simpson

madeOPT.jpg

Made in Chico had a Camp Fire Relief poster in their window as one of the 24 stores donating a percentage of proceeds made Sunday night to the Camp Fire Relief Fund. Photo credit: Olyvia Simpson

There were 24 businesses who participated in donating a portion of their proceeds made during the event to the North Valley Community Foundation Camp Fire Relief Fund. Downtown businesses who had a Camp Fire poster in their windows donated 5 to 10 percent of proceeds to the Camp Relief Fund.

braceletsOPT.jpg

Many downtown businesses, like Live love Juice Company, sold #Rebuild and #ButteStrong bracelets where 100 percent of the proceeds went toward the Camp Fire Relief Fund. Photo credit: Olyvia Simpson

Many of the local businesses and restaurants had #ButteStrong and #Rebuild bracelets for sale where 100 percent of the proceeds went towards the Camp Fire Relief Fund.

establishOPT.jpg

Members of the community gathered in the city plaza to listen to Sheriff Kory Honea speak before the annual Christmas tree and Menorah lighting. Photo credit: Olyvia Simpson

Mayor of Chico, Sean Morgan, and Sheriff Kory Honea both spoke at the ceremony of the Christmas tree and Menorah lighting in the downtown city plaza. Mayor Morgan welcomed residents displaced by the Camp Fire and said that Chico City Hall can be used by the Paradise City Council because we are part of one community supporting one another.

BallerinaOPT.jpg

People gather to watch Addie Sands, a Chico Community Ballet ballerina dance in the window of Made in Chico. Photo credit: Olyvia Simpson

Downtown Dance and Downtown Chico both hosted the event with special musical and dance performances every 30 to 45 minutes. Downtown businesses decorated their storefront windows with holiday decorations and dancers from various local companies framed by twinkling lights.

Olyvia Simpson can be reached at [email protected] or @OSimpson15 on Twitter