Chico protestors gather downtown to picket for peace in Venezuela

As the protest continues more of Chico Peace Vigil's members show up. They grab a sign and stand on various parts of the sidewalk to show passing cars their signs, Saturday, Mar. 2, 2019, in Chico, CA. Photo credit: Melissa Herrera

Gordy Papalias

Car horns rang through the streets of downtown Chico Saturday afternoon as passers-by honked in support of protestors demonstrating for peace in Venezuela.

Many of the protestors were members of the Chico Peace and Justice Center. They have been protesting on Third and Main every Saturday from 12:30-1:30 p.m. for 55 years. Their goal is to display support for ending wars, and the last few Saturdays have had extra significance because of Venezuela’s unstable government and relationship with the U.S.

Chico Peace Vigil's commitment to the protest

Chico Peace Vigil has protested every Saturday afternoon in the last four weeks. They are an organization that has lasted since 1960 and are dedicated to show locals their views, Saturday, Mar. 2, 2019, in Chico, CA. Photo credit: Melissa Herrera

The protestors believe peace isn’t a priority for the U.S. government, nor does the U.S. supply its citizens with all of the necessary information when it comes to its foreign relations policy and many events that happen overseas.

“I think a lot of it is because the media manipulates a lot of what we hear,” Linda Furr said, the leader of the group of protestors. “There’s so much on the hearings of Michael Cohen and they haven’t mentioned Venezuela in the last few days.”

Chico Peace Vigil gathered on the corner of 3rd and Main street

Chico Peace Vigil gathered on 3rd and Main street, protesting against the situation in Venezuela, Saturday, March 2, 2019, in Chico, CA. Photo credit: Melissa Herrera

While a majority of the protestors have been involved with the Chico Peace and Justice Center for many years, there have been many recent additions to their group.

Vietnam veteran Bob Van Fleet started coming out to protest toward the end of last August and has come out on many of the Saturdays since then.

“I think it’s really important to be out here at a time when it’s hard to get truthful, honest information about what’s going on in the world, and we are so divided against each other,” Van Fleet said. “It’s a small thing that we can do to make people think and ask questions basically.”

Chico Peace Vigil held numerous signs as locals walked by.

Chico Peace Vigil has members who are part of other organizations. They travel to areas that need more help in getting the peace out to the public and educate locals about the situation, Saturday, Mar. 2, 2019, in Chico, CA. Photo credit: Melissa Herrera

The Chico Peace and Justice Center have faced a lot of opposition in the form of protesters against their protest group who disagree with their stance on the anti-war issues, but they remain strong in their ability to show up every weekend.

“The worst was after the invasion of Iraq,” Furr said on her toughest protesting experiences. “Every time it was the anniversary of that. There were massive amounts of people that came out here threatening us…it was really scary.”

Although the Chico Peace and Justice Center have faced many roadblocks, positivity seemed to be constant throughout the group. One thing they stressed was that they will be at their same spot on Third and Main every Saturday to stand up for what they believe in.

More information on the Chico Peace and Justice Center and its members can be found on their website or at their office on 526 Broadway St.

Gordon Papalias can be reached at [email protected] or Twitter @GordonPapalias.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Chico protestors gather downtown to picket for peace in Venezuela”

1. David Hicks on March 6th, 2019 10:29 am

Keep Chico weird is a rip-off from Austin Texas.

2. Linda Furr on March 6th, 2019 2:27 pm

I truly appreciate the fact that you covered the 3/2 Peace Vigil’s concern about Venezuela. However, I was disappointed a little because our sense of urgency, I think, may not have come through strongly enough. And main stream media has been missing crucial information about Venezuela for decades – not just the ‘few days’ I was quoted as saying. Chico Vigilers would appreciate further interviews to bring out more information on US foreign policies re. Venezuela, Our issues with Venezuela seems to be emblematic of a whole lot of US warring goin’; on all over the world!

3. Guillermo Mash on March 25th, 2019 9:48 am

Good coverage on a tenacious and peaceful group of activists keeping peace and justice in public space.

• Chico protestors gather downtown to picket for peace in Venezuela

Shots fired on Porter Way and Rio Lindo Avenue

Paradise schools are making rebuilding progress after Camp Fire

• Community

Paradise schools making progress after Camp Fire

Criminal threats lead to arrest at Enloe Medical Center

Sunrise Movement endorses Audrey Denney in 2020 election after Green New Deal pledge

Campus safety summit starts discussion about homelessness, mental health, safety

Fire at Cafe Petra in downtown Chico

Associated Students 2019 election results

Two pedestrians robbed and beaten at gunpoint adjacent to campus