• Nate Farrington, new director of Adventure Outings, holding up some climbing rope that needs to be organized. Taken by Maki Chapman on February 8th, 2024

Nate Farrington takes the lead as Adventure Outings’ director

• Paul Belz laughs with audience member Joan Goodreau. Taken by Callum Standish on Feb. 22.

Bidwell park highlighted at museum book reading

• Photo of the Notice of Investigative Outcome letters issued to Delta Chi and Lambda Sigma Gamma taken by Molly Myers, Feb. 24, 2024.

Hazing documents revealed: Chico State warns against unrecognized Greek organizations

Chico Performances gives Laxson Auditorium the blues

TRUE BLUES COREY HR 3.JPG
Photo courtesy of Chico Performances.

Chico Performances will soon have audience members singing the blues.

True Blues: History of the Blues comes to Laxson Auditorium on Thursday, Feb. 13 at 7:30 p.m.

The performance, based on the film “True Blues” and represented by Folklore International, will chronicle the history and culture of the blues from West Africa to the United States. The event will feature renowned blues musicians, writers and composers Corey Harris, Guy Davis and Alvin Youngblood Hart.

Harris, a MacArthur Grant recipient and the host of True Blues, has performed, recorded and toured with artists the likes of B.B. King, Taj Mahal and Buddy Guy.
His style remains true to blues tradition but incorporates influences of reggae, soul, rock and West
African music.

Davis starred in the Broadway revival of “Finian’s Rainbow” and received the Blues Foundation’s Keeping the Blues Alive award in 1993 after his performance as blues musician Robert Johnson in “Robert Johnson: Trick the Devil”.

Youngblood Hart has toured with musical legends like Bo Diddley and Gary Moore (of Thin Lizzy) and contributed to many films, including Craig Brewer’s “Black Snake Moan” and Denzel Washington’s “The Great Debaters”.

Harris and Youngblood Hart were also featured in Martin Scorcese’s “The Blues: A Musical Journey”, which focused on Harris’ roots journey to West Africa.

Though their backgrounds differ, one thing remains constant among the musicians: a passion, respect and artistry for the blues and its rich history.

Tickets may be purchased online or at the box office.
Premium: $28
Adult: $23
Senior: $21
Student/Child: $15

Ashiah Scharaga can be reached at [email protected] or @AshiahD on Twitter.