Over 300 Chico State students removed from in-person classes for failing to comply with vaccine policy

Kimberly Morales

Kendall Hall on Sept. 28

Three hundred and fourteen Chico State students who failed to comply with the CSU system’s vaccine intermediate policy have been withdrawn from in-person classes.

Faculty were advised in an announcement by Mike Guzzi, director of the Emergency Operations Center and Pandemic Management Team, that if students who have been withdrawn attend an in-person lecture, they should be discreetly referred to the Office of the Registrar.

“The University is doing everything we can to help students who missed the deadline,” Guzzi said. “We have developed a grace period that allows students who have been withdrawn to visit the registrar and provide proof they’ve gotten at least one COVID-19 vaccine shot.”

The arrival of October wraps up a months-long process from the university that encouraged students to self-certify their vaccination against COVID-19. In the end, 98% of students completed this process.

Faculty teaching in-person and hybrid classes will have updated rosters by Oct. 4, according to Chico State Director of Labor Relations Denise M. Hardy, in an email announcement to faculty.

Students have until Oct. 8 to provide proof of their first vaccination to re-add classes. After Oct. 11, students need to provide proof of their first vaccination with written approval from their instructors to be placed back into in-person classes. After Oct. 15, a formal appeals process must begin with the Office of the Registrar, according to Guzzi’s email.

Already today, 13 students have visited the Registrar with proof of vaccination and been re-enrolled in their in-person classes

Mike Guzzi, director of the Emergency Operations Center and Pandemic Management Team

“Already today, 13 students have visited the Registrar with proof of vaccination and been re enrolled in their in-person classes,” Guzzi said.

Kimberly Morales can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @kimberlymnews.