• Tommy, a 3 year old Golden Retriever, interacts with students at The Well. Taken by Toby Neal on Feb. 28.

Bell Memorial Union is going to the dogs

• Signs with checkmarks on them. Created by Steven Amador on Mar. 1

CSU Board of Trustees to vote on Academic Professionals of America tentative agreement

CFA, CSU management fact-finding report released, no settlement reached

As the fact-finding was the last stage of the statutory process, it is now legal for faculty members to strike, according to the “no-strike” clause in their contracts. They will continue with their plans to strike
Faculty members protest. Courtesy: California Faculty Association

The fact-finding session between the California Faculty Association and California State University management has ended with no settlement, according to the CFA.

As the fact-finding was the last stage of the statutory process, it is now legal for faculty members to strike, according to the “no-strike” clause in their contracts. They will continue with their plans to strike on the following campuses and dates:

• Cal Poly Pomona – Dec. 4
  • San Francisco State – Dec. 5
  • CSU Los Angeles – Dec. 6
  • Sacramento State – Dec. 7

To read more about the strikes, go here

The Chico State campus community will not be impacted, however, Students for Quality Education are encouraging everyone to join the picket lines at striking campuses.

The impartial third-party appointed by the Public Employment Relations Board, Najeeb Khoury, prepared the report on Nov. 21. Following this, a 10-day blackout period occurred so both sides could read the report and respond accordingly.

Some of the recommendations made by the third-party are as follows:

• A 7% general salary increase
    • The CFA is advocating for a 12% GSI
    • CSU management’s latest offer was a 5% GSI
  • Not raising the minimum salary floor for lower-paid faculty members
  • Paid parental leave is increased from six weeks to eight
  • That CFA-represented employees have certain rights when being interviewed by CSU police on non-employment-related matters

Also included in the report was the CFA’s response to Khoury’s report, such as disagreement on the third party’s suggestions on the GSI and minimum salary floor increase for lecturers, among others.

The CFA said they will continue to advocate for a 12% GSI “to keep faculty ahead of inflation.”

In a separate statement, the CSU stated they informed the CFA they accept the fact finder’s recommendations on 13 topics, including parental leave and campus policing. The GSI and minimum salary floor increase recommendations were not on the list.

The CFA will file a lawsuit in federal district court “challenging CSU’s infringement of our member’s academic freedom.”

Prior to the Teamsters’ strike on Nov. 14, the CFA said CSU East Bay and CSU Fullerton sent messages to their campus communities prohibiting CFA members from using class time to discuss the strike.

“We are challenging CSU’s prior restraint of our members’ academic freedom and asking that the federal court issue an injunction to prevent them from continuing to do so,” the CFA said.

The CFA also said that management is calling to build upon the status quo, “but CFA members remain steadfast in pushing transformative bargaining proposals intended to uplift faculty.”  

“For our part, CFA members are pushing the boundaries of business as usual in our contract proposals and we remain committed to our transformative demands,” the CFA said.

The CSU said they will remain “ready to return to the bargaining table to reach a fair and financially sustainable agreement.” 

Timothy Sistrunk, the CFA Chico chapter  president, said he found the fact-finder report disappointing.

“The fact finder tried to hue to a middle of the road status quo and looked for a simplistic compromise between the Chancellor’s Office and CFA,” Sistrunk said. “The status quo leads to banality and starvation of resources where a tiny majority enjoy concentrated wealth.”

Sistrunk also said maintaining a vibrant educational system takes real investment in all its members.

The Orion has reached out to the CSU, and is awaiting response.

Ariana Powell can be reached at [email protected] or [email protected].