• Pro-Palestine banners put up on Butte Hall by Students for Justice in Palestine. Photo taken May 1, 2024. Photo taken May 1, 2024 by Molly Myers.

Ceasefire campaign launches on campus, President Perez sends email on protests 

• A heavy police presence is in the area of Nord Avenue. Taken by Callum Standish on May 2.

Police apprehend suspect following stabbing in area of Nord Avenue

• Left Fielder Troy Kent taking a swing in the 5th inning. Taken by Aaron Draper.

Chico State baseball drops to 5th after a tough series against East Bay

• This is a 100% satirical article. Graphic generated by Ariana Powell using Adobe Firefly on April 25.

'The Big Dipper'

Black Plague on-campus: RUN!!!

• Molly Myers, managing editor of The Orion, sticks out her thumb on 9th street in Chico, California. Screenshot taken from The Orions video on hitchhiking.

Hitchhiking in Chico: a woman’s perspective on trust and adventure

Mario Ortiz
Student Health Center on Chico State’s campus.

This article was updated with new information on Saturday at 2:43 p.m.

Butte County Public Health was notified on Friday that a person visiting Chico from outside of the county was carrying neisseria meningitis and issued a press release.

The press release stated the individual was at several fraternity houses on April 12 around 11 p.m. to 3 a.m. and April 13 around 11p.m. to 4:30 a.m.

The individual attended the following fraternity houses Lambda Chi Alpha, Phi Kappa Tau, Theta Chi and Kappa Sigma.

Neisseria meningitis is a bacteria that causes Meningococcal disease. According to the Center of Disease Control and Prevention anyone can become infected with the disease but specific groups of people are at a higher risk, including college students and travelers.

Symptoms associated with the disease include:

• fever
  • headache
  • stiff neck
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • photophobia; sensitivity to light
  • altered mental status.

The WellCat Health Center sent an email around 7 p.m. informing the campus community of their resources and what to do if they have been potentially exposed.

The email said that regardless of vaccination status students should:

• monitor their symptoms
  • contact the WellCat if potentially exposed
  • confirm with guardians about the student’s meningococcal vaccine status.
  • refrain from sharing materials that come in contact with the mouth.

Amidst the meningitis exposure, the WellCat is opening its doors on Sunday for students who have been potentially exposed.

The WellCat will be open from noon to 4 p.m. as stated in the email sent out by the WellCat on Saturday.

The WellCat’s regular hours will continue Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

“Beginning Monday, the WellCat Health Center will be open for student patients,” Friday’s email stated. “Any student who begins to feel symptoms over the weekend should contact their primary care provider or visit urgent care immediately.”

In 2023 there were 422 meningococcal disease cases reported in the United States, “the largest number of U.S. meningococcal disease cases reported since 2014.”

This followed the WellCat’s announcement on Tuesday of a potential tuberculosis exposure on campus.

The Orion reached out to campus communication and BCPH, a response is being awaited.

Correction: This article has been updated to correct an error. The correction was changed from: “Butte County Public Health was notified on Friday that a person visiting Chico from outside of the country was carrying neisseria meningitis and issued a press release.” We changed country to county.

Milca Elvira Chacon can be reached at [email protected].