Viral video inspires student to film strangers kissing

IMG_1669.jpeg
Davis Yanda, a sophomore marketing major, was inspired by a viral video to film strangers kissing. Photo courtesy of Davis Yanda.

Davis Yanda wants to bring romance back to Chico by holding his own Strangers Kissing event.

Yanda, a sophomore marketing major, watched the viral “First Kiss” video and decided he wanted to make his own after finding out that it was fake.

“This would be a video of actual strangers kissing,” Yanda said. “No one will know who they are kissing until the day of the video when they walk in the door.”

The concept of strangers made him so interested in this project, he said.

“Everyone were once strangers to each other, like my mom and dad,” Yanda said. “They were once complete strangers and I’m sure after their first kiss it was the most amazing feeling in the world.”

Yanda doesn’t expect anything from the experiment, other than seeing people smile, he said.

“What if that kiss sends a spark through your body?” he said. “You never know who’s out there.”

Yanda is running a Facebook page called Strangers Kissing-Chico. He is looking for 24-30 people by the end of March before he and his girlfriend begin to film.

“My first kiss with my girlfriend made me smile for a week straight,” Yanda said. “It’s never knowing who’s out there and what one awkward yet intimate and passionate moment can change.”

Prin Mayowa can be reached at [email protected] or @PrinSupreme on Twitter.