The O-Face: Soundtracks for sex

Michaelkarp.jpg
Michael Karp Photo credit: Kasey Judge

Having sex is hardly ever exactly the same.

You try new rooms and positions. It can last longer or shorter. Sometimes you need to be quiet and sometimes you can be as loud as you want.

Other times you just want some background noise. This could be when roommates are home, it’s your first time together or if it’s your personal preference.

This is when television and music typically enter the picture.

Any old TV show or song just won’t do. Try having sex while “Workaholics” is on and you might end up in a laughing fit. Same goes for listening to “Gangnam Style.”

Once while having sex and listening to music, an ‘80s song came on that made us crack up hysterically. We couldn’t have sex for 20 minutes. This is serious stuff.

Here’s a list of TV shows and genres of music I think are best for having sex:

“Game of Thrones”

This action-packed and raunchy series is likely to push both of your blood pressures through the roof. The sex, the violence, the sweat, the passion — 20 minutes in and you’ll be tearing each other’s garments off, unsheathing your weapons and going to battle between the sheets.

Just make sure to rewatch the episode. Trust me, you don’t want to miss a thing.

“Spartacus”

This show is in the same category as “Game of Thrones.” The action is just as exciting, the sex is just as prolific and the characters have just as much sex appeal.

The difference is that “Spartacus” leans heavily toward the “soft-core porn” side of things. The sex scenes are emphasized and slow motion plays a strong role.

I think it’s awesome, but I can also see how it might be too much for some people. But if gladiators, slaves and noblemen are your thing, including some role play could be a glorious experience.

“Jersey Shore”

I know, I know. What am I thinking?

I’m using the term “watched” loosely here, but I watched the whole first season while having sex. I can honestly say it was a great experience.

It’s a show that is just entertaining enough that you’ll watch it, but not so distracting that it’s worth procrastinating on your homework. It’s a great recipe for background noise.

Electronic dance music

I chose this one not only because I love this type of music, but because most songs have a rollercoaster of rhythm to them. Following this rhythm when you’re having sex can free your mind to focus on other fun things.

This kind of music can be fast and dirty or slow, sensual and have a lot of feeling and emotion, just like sex. It can really amplify your sexual experience if the right songs are chosen.

Rap music

This music certainly has the dirty, sexual factor and the rhythm we’re going for.

I usually avoid songs with words because they definitely have the potential to kill the mood, but the flow of the lyrics in this genre fuses with the background so well it works.

I mean, who wouldn’t want to have sex while listening to 50 Cent’s “Candy Shop?”

In general, avoid any songs that could make you laugh. In fact, I would create a hand-picked playlist of songs that you know you want to listen to. Don’t trust Pandora to set the mood.

I recommend TV shows that are sexual or at least have sexual undertones so both of you can get your blood pumping. Once again, avoid comedies.

For some people it’s a necessity. It’s just a preference for others. Having background noise can be great for both relieving sexual anxiety and enhancing sexual experience.

However, as I have experienced, it can also do the opposite. Choose wisely.

Michael Karp can be reached at [email protected] or @_MichaelKarp on Twitter.