Halo: New device to provide quick crisis response

Kylie Munoz

Students walking alone at night will soon have the ability to receive help in case of an emergency with the press of a button.

Kirk Jacobson, president and chief executive officer of On Demand Safety, met with Associated Students on Wednesday to discuss a GPS device for students that could be used in an emergency.

On Demand Safety is a company dedicated to the safety of students, Jacobson said.

“This is not just a panic button,” he said. “This product gives you an opportunity to be found while you still have time.”

The GPS device is called “Halo” and is small enough to fit on a keychain, according to the On Demand Safety Web site.

Halo allows a response team from a nearby police department to track an individual to his or her exact location, according to the Web site. It also allows a full vocal transmission when the button is pressed, so the response team can hear what is happening at the individual’s location.

On Demand Safety is trying to form a partnership with Chico State, said Mike Jolicoeur, chief operating officer of On Demand Safety.

The company has met with various universities such as Arizona State, University of Arizona and University of Texas, Austin to discuss Halo, Jolicoeur said.

On Demand Safety has already developed possible partnerships with these universities, he said.

The partnership with a university would allow each student on campus to receive a Halo device, Jolicoeur said. The cost of this product would be included in tuition and be $1 a day for each student.

“What I want students to know is that they support the safety on campus not just for themselves but for their peers as well,” he said.

Halo will improve the safety of students on campus, said freshman Brett Powell, a business management major.

“It will definitely hike tuition, but I really support their product,” Powell said. “With just a press of a button you have help, you really can’t ask for anything better.”

Others agree that the plan may have some merits, but are unwilling to invest the money it would require.

Though Halo could have helped A.S. President Joseph Igbineweka when he was attacked April 18, Igbineweka does not think this is something the university should invest in, he said.

“I do not support increasing tuition for this product,” Igbineweka said. “Students should be able to decide if they want to purchase this product on an individual basis.”

Igbineweka agrees that the Halo will help student safety, but the university does not need to increase tuition and can improve safety by what is currently on campus, he said.

Services that can be improved are Blue Light Phones, Chico Safe Rides and the Campus Alcohol and Drug Education Center, Igbineweka said. Students should utilize these services to help their safety.

Kylie Munoz can be reached at<a href= “javascript:void(location.href=’mailto:’+String.fromCharCode(107,109,117,110,111,122,64,116,104,101,111,114,105,111,110,46,99,111,109)+’?subject=re%3A%20Halo’)”>[email protected]</a>