Absolute truth drowned in noise of political clamoring

opinion

Dani Anguiano

In our country, it’s hard to know much about anything.

Major issues are politicized beyond the point of recognition. They are morphed into campaigning weapons in the eternal struggle between the left and right. Discussing an issue no longer involves looking for a solution, but rather a debate whether Republicans or Democrats are right in the eyes of voters.

Whether the topic is same-sex marriage, hybrid cars or science, nothing is off limits to politicians.

It doesn’t matter if issues are straightforward or based on factual data, they can become so diluted by public officials that it’s hard to determine what the truth is.

When American culture politicizes every issue of controversy, it takes away our ability to understand an issue. No longer do we have facts but also the liberal and conservative perspective. Although these perspectives are appropriate for issues like taxes, economic policies and health care, they are all too often applied unnecessarily.

For instance, many politicians have expressed they do not believe humans have contributed to climate change. Global warming is presented in a way that is open to interpretation. Our view of the issue is skewed by the lens we see it through, whether Republican or Democrat.

We aren’t dealing with Santa Claus. Climate change is either real or it is not, and it’s an issue whether one believes in it or not. This creates much confusion and can contribute to the sentiment no one is really right.

Truth is not plural but singular, so despite a multitude of perspectives, the truth is much simpler than we tend to think of it.

Republican Sen. Jon Kyl of Arizona claimed, “If you want an abortion, you go to Planned Parenthood, and that’s well over 90 percent of what Planned Parenthood does.”

The actual number of abortion services provided by the women’s health advocacy group was only 3 percent as of 2009, according to Planned Parenthood’s website.

But Kyl explained his statements were not intended to be factual. Essentially, he lied and excused his lies by saying he wasn’t intending to be truthful, but trying to prove a point. Politicizing issues not only blurs the truth, it creates an environment in which people cannot be held accountable.

When Rep. Todd Akin talked about the legitimacy of rape and victims’ rights to abortion, the Missouri Republican drew harsh criticism.

“First of all, from what I understand from doctors, that’s really rare,” he said. “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”

That comment was the source of much controversy, and Akin ended up losing his Congressional seat.

Unfortunately, it was only one of many inappropriate comments regarding rape made during this year’s election season.

Republican vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan defended his sponsorship of a measure that used the term “forcible rape.”

Rape is just rape, and the very word implies force. Hopefully, due to the outrage surrounding this politicization, government leaders have learned not to make up words or false theories to suit a political agenda.

The constant politicization of issues is dangerous and contributes to the overall ignorance of Americans. When this is done unnecessarily, it creates an environment in which no one is wrong and truth is just a matter of political opinion.

While our world and the issues facing it are not merely black and white, but have many shades of gray, sometimes facts are just facts.

<strong>Dani Anguiano can be reached at</strong> <a href=”mailto:[email protected]”><em>[email protected]</em></a>

1. Dani Anguiano