• Nate Farrington, new director of Adventure Outings, holding up some climbing rope that needs to be organized. Taken by Maki Chapman on February 8th, 2024

Nate Farrington takes the lead as Adventure Outings’ director

Downtown market starts fresh new season

market.jpg
Thursday Night Market returns April 6. Image courtesy of Stephanie Yunker.

The Thursday Night Market is aiming
to clean up more than just your diet this summer.

The market starts from 6-9 p.m. April 3 and runs rain or shine until Sept. 25. The market houses more than 100 vendors that line the streets with great food, live entertainment, farm-fresh produce and arts and crafts for everyone.

Safety and cleanliness is the No. 1 goal for this season, said Stephanie Yunker, the community events and marketing director for the Downtown Chico Business Association.

“We are working closely with the Downtown Ambassadors to directly address safety concerns,” Yunker said. “We have hired a cleanup brigade from the Jesus Center to clean our downtown streets.”

Additional inflatables and kids’ games are being added to the children’s area.

The City Plaza Nights special event series is also being revamped. The Downtown Chico Business Association will cover the plaza usage fee, assist in promoting the events through radio, print and social media and guide organizations that plan for the groups participating in City Plaza Nights.

Some of the events this upcoming season include Keep Chico Creative and the Good to be Green Expo.

The Downtown Chico Business Association will continue to partner with Chico Velo Cycling Club to offer free bike valet services for Thursday Night Market attendees.

The service is designed to help with the frustration of trying to park downtown and encourage attendees to ride their bike to the event without fear of theft or vandalism.

The valet booth will be located near the intersection of Third and Broadway streets.

The market is hoping to attract families that may have stopped coming because of some of the challenges in the past, Yunker said.

Ariel Hernandez can be reached at [email protected] or @Aj7uriel on Twitter.