Event explores women’s health

johanssonWEB.jpg
Nicole Johansson, director of marketing and communications for Enloe, shows off the swag bag that is given with price of admission. Photo credit: Amanda Hovik

The Heart of a Woman event will provide a chance for women to connect and unwind while learning from health experts.

“We are inviting people in to take charge of their health,” said Nicole Johansson, director of marketing and communications for Enloe Medical Center.

The sold-out event is presented by Enloe Medical Center and will take place from 5-8:30 p.m. Thursday in Colusa Hall.

There are 11 physicians on the medical staff that will present health chats at the event.

Some featured chats include: “Fit Foods: Smart Nutrition in a Diet-Crazy World,” “Cycling Through: Depression and Anxiety in Women” and “Health Tips for My Mother and Daughter.”

“I don’t think you can go wrong with the value you get with the $20 price,” Johansson said. “We were laughing earlier that it’s cheaper than a copay at your doctor’s office to come and hear all this great information from these physicians.”

The event will feature keynote speaker Jennifer Read Hawthorne, co-author of “Chicken Soup for the Woman’s Soul” books.

The community has given a tremendous amount of support for the event, Johansson said.

Agua Azul Oasis will be offering free chair massages and Hot Flash Wines will be providing wine tasting. Local businesses, such as Jewel Kade, will also have products for sale.

Delphine Winter, a junior recreation administration major and intern at Enloe Medical Center, was tasked with getting vendors to participate in the event, she said.

“Planning events is hard but getting people to come is even harder,” Winter said. “I am hoping we get a good reputation because we have so many resources that are so beneficial to women in Chico.”

Participants will receive a “swag bag” containing things such as coupons for stores at the Chico Mall, information about joining the Soroptimist International of Chico, a universal cellphone plug-in, a nail file and other “surprise goodies.”

Amanda Hovik can be reached at [email protected] or @AmandaHovik on Twitter.