Community eats beef, gets buff at farm run

5kWEB.jpg
Cain Madrigal, president of the Young Cattleman's Association, keeps track of time for about 60 runners at the Beefin' it Up 5K. The event was held at the University Farm and open to the public. Photo credit: Shayla Ramos

Members of the Young Cattlemen’s Association hooped and hollered as runners made their way to the finish line on Saturday morning.

The Beefin’ it Up 5K was held for the first time at the University Farm to promote a heart-healthy diet and active lifestyle that includes beef.

Bailey Hagata, sophomore agricultural business major and Young Cattlemen’s Association treasurer, helped organize the 5,000-meter race.

People were excited to come out and see the farm, she said. The closer the producer works with the consumer, the better the agriculture industry will become.

“It gives me hope for the future,” Hagata said.

Stephen Doyle, an agriculture professor and Young Cattlemen’s Association co-adviser, participated in the run with his stepdaughter, Hannah Hampton.

“I love trying to keep this healthy lifestyle, and the idea that beef can be a part of that,” Doyle said.

The fitness activity paired well with a tri-tip salad, he said.

“I think we need to get our young people moving and exercising and address some of the issues that we have as a society, getting off the computers and off their phones,” Doyle said.

There’s a renewed interest in grass-fed versus grain-fed beef, he said. It really comes down to personal choice.

“Grass fed beef tends to be higher in omega-3 fatty acids, but then grain-fed beef tends to be higher in oleic, which is one of the required monounsaturated fats that we need,” Doyle said. “Its one of those things to look at the evidence and decide upon yourself.”

Sponsors for the run included Fleet Feet and Dave Daley Farm in Chico, California Beef Council in Sacramento, Eaton Roughs Ranch in Humboldt and Cedar Crest Vineyards in Manton.

Haydn Clement, a senior agriculture science major, participated in the race and works in the Meats Laboratory on campus.

“I think having a 5K with beef on a farm, it’s a really good harmony of knowing where your food comes from, staying physically active, being informed on your food options,” Clement said. “It’s a really good grass-roots campaign.”

Amanda Hovik can be reached at [email protected] or @AmandaHovik on Twitter