Community encouraged to commute for Bike Month

cycleWEB.jpg
Katherine Ketterer, Gabby Walters, Stacy Canada and Janine Rood are members of Chico Velo Cycling Club, a sponsor of BikeChico!, one of several Bike Month events in May. Photo credit: Matthew Vacca

The Butte Bicycle Association has geared up for Bike Month and is putting on many environmentally-friendly events, such as BikeChico!

Chico Velo Cycling, a nonprofit organization, is a sponsor for BikeChico!

Stacy Canada, a recreation administration graduate student and event co-director, has been connected to the cycling community through work with the Butte Bicycle Coalition and Chico Velo Cycling Club.

“It’s nice to know Chico embraces cycling and is supportive of it,” Canada said. “Chico is very bicycle-friendly.“

Walk and Roll Wednesdays in May feature energizer stations at Second and Flume streets from 6:30-9 a.m. with coffee, Chico Chai and yoga demonstrations.

“Those are just fun; who doesn’t want to get rewarded for commuting on their bike?” she said. “It’s just a social thing in the morning that makes you feel good that you rode your bike.”

Canada stresses how easy and economical biking is.

“I think more students would find it’s an easy and accessible way to get around,” Canada said. “That’s the best way for students — if you ride your bike, you save money.”

Students from Parkview, Sierra View, Emma Wilson, Citrus, Chapman, Shasta, Rosedale and Hooker Oak elementary schools can win a bike by attending the month’s events. Students from Bidwell and Chico junior high schools can win as well.

Katherine Ketterer, co-event coordinator of Chico Velo Cycling Club, gets more satisfaction from bike peddling than pressing on a gas pedal.

“You feel much better when you are exercising, and when you’re on a bike you see more of the world than when you’re in a car,” Ketterer said. “You also end up having an open mind, because you see people using alternative methods of transportation and how important it is to the community.”

Partners of the Butte Bike Coalition include: Chico Peace and Justice Center, Butte Environmental Council, Chico Natural Foods, Growing Resourcefully Uniting Bellies and Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Some events in May include:

· Seersucker and Little Nippers Ride: May 4 downtown to Five Mile

· GRUB garden tour: May 18 at Chico Peace and Justice Center

· 5th Annual Children’s Bike Swap and Boys & Girls Club

· The Chico Bicycle Music Festival on June 7 at Camillia Way Park

Chico Velo Cycling Club is providing free bike valet parking, so attendees don’t have to worry about parking their bike or getting it stolen at the month’s events.

Amanda Hovik can be reached at [email protected] or @AmandaHovik on Twitter.