Male violence goes overlooked

Julianna Eveland
Julianna Eveland

The act of admitting assault can come at a high price to a male’s masculinity.

We focus much of our attention on the safety of women, the prevention of rape and other such issues of violence toward women.

But this is not the only problem that should be a focus at Chico State.

Violence against men often goes overlooked because our society holds the assumption that men are capable of creating a more secure environment for themselves versus women, who are perceived as more petite and vulnerable.

I think these societal expectations go back to the idea of the alpha male and primal instincts. Not admitting to the violation of rape or physical assault can often sound better, or easier, than a hard blow to a male’s masculinity.

Yes, the rape of a male is less likely, but it does happen. Males can find themselves in a position of vulnerability, just as women can, especially when there’s alcohol involved.

Masculine culture expects men to react to violence with more violence. There must be an alternative solution to this thinking, a way to change the attitude toward male violence and assault.

It’s time to break the silence when it comes to violence against males.

Why are there no programs dedicated to men’s defense when it comes to physical violence?

There is a program specifically dedicated to women called Rape Aggression Defense where they can find a sense of comfort in relieving concerns for their own safety. If there was a similar place for men, among other men, Chico State could become a place where all genders feel some level of safety and comfort.

There are people who say women who get raped are “asking for it,” and there are those that assume men do the same when they get in physical fights.

But the truth of it is, neither gender asks for abuse, and when it happens, the trauma that follows needs attention.

Neither gender may ask for it, but only females have the vast amount of resources and places to turn.

Yes, masculinity may possess qualities thought of as tough and hardened. But that does not mean males need any less attention when it comes to traumatizing experiences.

A place where men can come to vent, express themselves or even just find a connection with someone who might share a similar experience is something that Chico State desperately needs.

Julianna Eveland can be reached at [email protected] or @janeca12 on Twitter.