Tattoos can wait

Julianna Eveland

janeevelandopinion.jpg

Julianna Eveland

There’s something about college that makes it feel like the prime time to get a tattoo.

When I first came to Chico all my friends had cool tattoos. I was jealous. I felt young without any ink on my body, like an amateur.

The only problem for me though, was my parents were absolutely against the idea of me getting a tattoo.

I was resentful of the fact they forbade me from getting tatted. It’s my body, I can do what I want with it, mom and dad.

When they first outlawed tattoos, I contemplated saying, “screw it,” and getting one anyway. What’s the worst that could happen?

Sure, they could cut me off. But that’s only if they find out.

As I thought about it more and more though, I’m glad I decided against the idea to rebel.

I realized I have plenty of time to decide what sort of permanent ink I want on my body — if any at all. I don’t know what I want in life right now, so how could I possibly decide what I want on my skin for the rest of my life?

I’m all for the idea of getting a tattoo, if that’s what you’re into. It’s a form of art, a way of self-expression. I used to envy those who were a part of that culture, but now I’ve learned to simply admire it from afar.

If I were to get a tattoo, it would be the most beautiful tree I’ve ever seen, right here in Chico actually.

But if that is truly what I want, I can wait for that moment in life when I’m truly ready to make that commitment to everlasting body art.

Julianna Eveland can be reached at [email protected] or @janeca12 on Twitter