Humans of Chico State: Family

Annie Paige

hocsfamily1.jpg

Christina McLennon, a senior microbiology major, sits with a liberal studies friend across from Selvester’s Cafe-by-the-Creek. Photo credit: Annie Paige

“(My mom and I have the) same major, same adviser, same school, same program. Me and my mom love math and science and my dad and sister like English and all that gross stuff. I wanted to do something in science, but I didn’t know what. My mom told me about the clinical laboratory science program where I would be in a hospital lab and I was like, ‘This is the perfect job for me.’ My mom loved it and I think I’m going to love it too.” – Christina McLennon, left

hocsfamily2.jpg

Thomas Hoyle, a sophomore civil engineering major, sits outside of Kendall Hall and talks about his small-town upbringing. Photo credit: Annie Paige

“I come from a really small community so there weren’t a lot of wealthy (people), I guess you could say. I’ve basically been raised on really strong family morals and really close ties with everybody and my community. So everybody has kind of raised me like family. It’s helped me become the dedicated student that I am today, and has made it to where I want to help people as much as I can, not just turn away.” – Thomas Hoyle

hocsfamily4.jpg

Maddy Lewis, a freshman liberal studies major, kills time by Glenn Hall and discusses how she wants to follow in her father's footsteps. Photo credit: Annie Paige

“They’ve always been very supportive of me. My parents have lived here for most of their lives, and went to Chico State. My dad was actually a teacher here and so I was really inspired by the way he really cared about his students. He kind of brought that home and was always helping me out with school. I want to be a teacher who makes kids feel intelligent and welcomed and safe. I want to be like my dad.” – Maddy Lewis

hocsfamily3.jpg

Hakeem Saleh, a junior business administration major, shares his Palestinian roots. Photo credit: Annie Paige

“My family is hardcore conservative religious people that grew up on the other side of the world (West Bank Palestine). Their culture is all about respect. Respect older people and women, so I’m not running around getting drunk every weekend chasing after girls. At the same time, it gave me a shitty childhood because over there they don’t connect and bond with their children. The just raise them, feed them and then make sure they get through school. But you’re not really close to your kids.” – Hakeem Saleh

Annie Page can be reached at [email protected] or @anniepaige3 on Twitter.