Hating on animal testing is hypocritical

meganmannopinion.jpg
Megan Mann

Before I continue with this blog, let me be clear that I think animal testing is a horrible and outdated practice that needs to be exterminated.

That being said, I will also admit to buying from cosmetic companies that have been accused of testing on animals, like Revlon, L’oreal Paris, and Benefit Cosmetics.

Why? Well, I’m not just going to boycott the company that makes my favorite lipstick because the country they sell to tests on animals independently (I’m looking at you, China).

That, and boycotting a company that may or may not be testing cosmetics on animals would make me the biggest hypocrite in the world.

Trust me, my reasoning isn’t as crazy as it sounds.

For starters, I benefit from modern medicine. Almost all of the treatments for disorders and conditions that we know about in today’s medically advanced world came from animal testing. For example, when diabetes was first discovered, it was because the person who discovered it ripped pancreases out of dogs.

On top of that, I use sunscreen that’s sold here in the United States. Have you ever wondered why Lush Cosmetics doesn’t sell their sunscreen here? Well, it’s because all sunscreen has to be tested on animals before it can hit U.S. shelves and the company wants to keep its brand cruelty-free.

And before I get comments saying, “animal testing in the medical field is different because we need medicine but not cosmetics,” let me just say that that is the worst argument I’ve ever heard.

Animal testing in the medical industry means that a company is injecting an animal with diseases that they don’t have a cure for yet, or they’re testing a vaccine or medication that could have horrendous side effects.

Doesn’t that sound more painful than testing cosmetics on an animal?

What I’m trying to say is that until we eradicate all forms of animal testing we cannot pick and choose when it’s moral and socially acceptable to do so.

So until then, please stop telling me that I’m a horrible person for wearing lipstick.

I already feel guilty enough for knowing that Doberman Pinschers were tested on to figure out and treat my bleeding disorder.

Megan Mann can be reached at [email protected] or @meganisthemann on Twitter.