Common Grounds hosts grand opening event

Ken Fitzgerald
Ken Fitzgerald

The Common Grounds new location’s grand opening spiced up last Tuesday afternoon with music from KCSC radio, free coffee samples, games and prizes.

Students were offered a taste of three new coffee flavors and were asked to vote on their favorite to be added to the menu: Honey lavender, toasted marshmallow or spiced brown sugar.

Caroline Knapp, the retail manager of Chico State, said that the new Common Grounds located in the lobby of the Bell Memorial Union has seen much higher traffic than the old space in the basement.

“This location has higher visibility, a more efficient work space and is 100 percent up to health code,” she said.

Before the move, Common Grounds was not considered up to health code because of its floor to ceiling ratio.

Students have been buzzing about how they like the new and improved Common Grounds, Knapp said.

“We have had a 35 percent  increase in sales in the first three weeks of school compared to last semester,” she said.

The new location isn’t the only improvement students can expect.  Marketplace chefs worked all summer on developing new “grab and go” sandwiches that are pre-made every morning, Knapp said.

Brooke Langelon, a sophomore exercise physiology major, said that the new location is much more convenient for her to get to compared to the old location .

“I think most students will like the new spot because it’s closer than going downstairs and cuts off time to get drinks,” Langelon said.

While Knapp said that some students may miss the hidden and quiet ambiance that the old location offered.

But Langelon doesn’t mind the lack of a study area.

“I never really used the space to study anyways, so it doesn’t bother me at all,” Langelon said.

Ken Fitzgerald, a junior organizational communications major, won a free bag of Peet’s Coffee, which is the brand Common Grounds uses, by spinning a prize wheel in front of the BMU at the grand opening.

“I come here quite a bit,” he said. “I like that you can get coffee for $1 if you use your own mug.”

Fitzgerald said he wouldn’t be able to survive without a caffeine fix and likes the convenience of having Common Grounds on campus.

“I can do school work better when I’m flying on a caffeine high,” he said.

Kayla Smith can be reached at [email protected] or @kayla_smith1013 on Twitter.