Read the book first

Daisy250x250.jpg
Illustration by Miles Huffman

I’m watching T.V. and suddenly there’s a movie trailer for a book that I just read. The trailer looks decent and I get excited and think that maybe this time they will actually get it right.

I wait with anticipation and the time for the movie to finally premiere comes. I finish watching the movie and, just like every other time, I leave the theaters disappointed.

Movies will never live up to the books.

When I read the books I, like other readers, create my own version of what the character looks like. I grow attached to them and I experience what they experience.

I embark on the journey with them.

When I watch the movies, I just can’t help but point out everything that’s wrong. Important parts that happened in the book are always left out. Changes are made to characters and sometimes characters are even left out.

For instance, Percy Jackson and the Lighting Thief is the biggest book-based movie failure ever. Even though it’s been five years since its release it still remains the worst to this day.

The plot was changed, the actors did not resemble the characters and overall the movie was just plain terrible.

Those who watch the movie and don’t read the book are missing out.

There are things that need to be known about the characters that can’t be perceived from a movie. The characters’ thoughts, feelings and past are the little details that make all the difference.

Read the book. I promise it’s better than the movie.

Daisy Dardon can be reached at [email protected] or @daisydardon on Twitter.