Real World: Adulting

Megan Mann

Optimized-illustration2.jpg

Illustration by Nicole Jackson Photo credit: Nicole Jackson

My hands are cold and clammy.

My heart’s racing I’m pretty sure I’m on the brink of having a panic attack.

I click on the online link and meticulously scan the article, devouring every word as my hair starts to fall out from the anxiety.

It seems like I can’t breathe until I get to the end, at which point I finally sigh with relief.

CVS/Caremark didn’t drop either of my Von Willebrand disease medications.

OK, this introduction may seem a little bit dramatic to some, but I can honestly say that I nearly had a heart attack when I saw “CVS/Caremark to cut medications” trending on Facebook.

I can only get my two bleeding disorder medications from CVS/Caremark because my insurance only deals with them in some sort of secret blood pact or something.

While I very rarely need either of them (Stimate, a nasal spray, for light bleeding incidents and Humate P/factor, for heavier bleeds, accidents and surgeries), I still panicked because it would be just my luck that the minute they dropped my medications, I’d get into some horrible accident and need factor or else I’d die (and that’s not an exaggeration).

Now, why is this worth writing about and why should my lovely readers care?

Well, for the freshman that are counting down the days until their 18th birthdays but think adult responsibilities like worrying about medication and bills and other boring things are far away, I have some disheartening news for you.

The day you turn 18, you are an adult.

Before I hear a resounding “Duh,” let me explain.

As an adult, your parents no longer have access to your medical information, even if you’re still on their health insurance. You have to give them permission via a written consent form.

Trust me, I’ve probably filled out 20 of those consent forms in the past two years.

They also can’t help you deal with your problems on campus, like roommate issues, although they will try.

Oh, and you know how most sophomores end up getting an apartment instead of doing the whole dorm thing again? Guess who has to deal with contacting the landlord to fix issues or call the cable company because the internet doesn’t work? It’s not going to be your parents.

OK, perhaps your parents can still help with the last two things, but it’s better for you to do them yourself.

While my mom may help me pay for certain bills, she makes me call and deal with everyone by myself.

She’s also pretty much made me take over my medical responsibilities as well, which is why I was so stressed over CVS/Caremark dropping those medications. But in all honesty, I’m glad that she’s making me adult.

I’d rather have to deal with these things while she’s still here to help me than be shoved into the cold and cruel adult world, kicking and screaming for my childhood.

So thank you, Mom. While I may hate adulting, calling people and dealing with insurance, cable, and pharmaceutical companies, I know you only mean the best.

Now, can I please get back to playing Legend of Zelda before I have to deal with CVS/Caremark again?

Megan Mann can be reached at [email protected] or @meganisthemann on Twitter.