Victims overshadowed by the bully

Megan Mann

Scan1 2.jpeg

Illustration by Adriana Macias Photo credit: Adriana Macias

Kim Davis.

Two words composing a single name. That’s all it takes to start a huge debate about religion and gay marriage, and everyone has an opinion.

I mean, it’s hard not to get swept up in the story:

A Kentucky county clerk gets thrown in jail because she defied a federal mandate that ordered her to issue marriage licenses to homosexual couples with her only reasoning for defying federal law being “it violates my religious beliefs.”

Honestly, I could go on all day about Kim Davis and how she’s a bigot and a hypocrite, but I’d just be rehashing what’s already been said by other sources.

And I’d just be giving her more media coverage, which she definitely doesn’t deserve.

Truthfully, I think it’s appalling that the media is following her story so closely when they should be focusing on the four couples she’s directly victimized, two homosexual and two heterosexual.

Now, I’ll bite. I don’t understand why Davis decided to refuse licenses to the two straight couples when her issue is with gay marriage, but I digress.

The four couples are the victims here.

They’ve been on this roller coaster ride of emotion, heartache and hate since day one, and all anyone can talk about is the person operating the ride.

First, the couples were told they couldn’t get married, so they filed a lawsuit against the person directly defying the Supreme Court’s ruling on gay marriage.

Then, hope fills their hearts as the sole person standing in the way of their happiness is told “issue the licenses or go to jail.”

And then the hope is crushed as that person refuses to do their job until they’re taken away in handcuffs.

Finally, these four couples can run to the clerk’s office and get their licenses to get married.

No, wait a minute. Apparently Davis’ lawyer says the marriage licenses issued during her jail time are invalid since the head clerk didn’t officiate them.

If I were those couples, I would be completely broken by this whole mess.

All they want is to marry the person they love, to be joined together for a lifetime (give or take) with one person. And instead of running off to their final dress/tux fitting and double checking the seating arrangement for the reception, their whole lives have been put on hold.

Yet all the media talk about is how Davis used the song, “Eye of the Tiger,” without permission after she was released from jail.

I think this is why I’m so appalled when I read articles talking about how Kim Davis is a martyr and how her experience is comparable to Jews during the Holocaust.

You read that right. Her attorney actually compared her situation to one of the most horrific events in history.

Kim Davis is not a martyr. She is not the unsung hero of the movement against gay marriage.

She is a bully who uses her faith to dictate what she thinks the law should be, and the couples that she refuses service to are really the ones we should pay attention to.

I won’t ignorantly compare them with other cultures and groups that have been singled out and mistreated throughout time, but their patience and strength go beyond virtue.

Isn’t it time somebody acknowledges them?

Megan Mann can be reached at [email protected] or @meganisthemann on Twitter.