Superfood Salad

Recharge and refresh with this superfood winter salad during the holiday season. Photo credit: Grace Kerfoot

Clean eating during the holiday season doesn’t have to mean giving up sweet treats and festive cocktails. This is for holiday parties and leftover pie for breakfast, and if you’re not taking some time to indulge, I’m shedding a tear for you.

However, to keep your body from feeling heavy and groggy by the time New Year’s rolls around, punctuate your holiday eating with crunchy, vibrant, raw foods to give your digestive system a quick cleanse and your energy levels a spritely boost.

This recipe for superfood salad is a largely just beets, parsley, kale and lemon— which all have amazing detoxing properties.

Beets

If the only beet you’ve ever encountered came from a can, you haven’t truly captured the essence of this glowing root vegetable. Grown underground, the mineral and earthy taste of beets is a reflection of the soil it came from; they are rich in iron, antioxidants and fiber. They also help cleanse the liver, which might need some healing after all those Christmas cocktails. Rekindle your beet relationship by shredding them raw into salads, throwing some small cubes in your blender when you make a smoothie or roasting them in the oven to release their sweet flavor.

food4WEB.jpg
Beets can be a good source of iron, fiber and antioxidants. Photo credit: Grace Kerfoot

Parsley

Is too much rich food and drink giving you an stomach upset? Try reaching for a bundle of parsley instead of Tums. Much more than a garnish, parsley is a healing herb that is rich in anti-inflammatory vitamins and flavor. Buy the flat-leafed variety (also known as “Italian” parsley) and use the leaves whole or chopped in leafy or grain-loaded salads. Or, add a handful to a smoothie before blending.

food1WEB.jpg
Parsley is a healing herb that is rich in anti-inflammatory vitamins and flavor. Photo credit: Grace Kerfoot

Kale

While the kale craze is finally beginning to simmer down, let us not forget about the nutritional profile of this leafy green. Kale is an excellent source of vitamin A and calcium, and it turns a stunning shade of emerald when gently massaged or sautéed. These days, you can find both lacinto (also known as “dino”) and curly kale at any supermarket or grocery store.

IMG_1408 (1).jpg
Kale is an excellent source of vitamins A, C, and calcium. Photo credit: Grace Kerfoot

Lemons

It’s no coincidence that so many cleaning products are lemon-scented. Lemons are cleaning fruits and perfect for removing any residual holiday sludge your body might be holding onto. High in vitamin C, lemons are excellent for the immune system. Start your morning with a glass of lemon water or squeeze some in a salad or soup to add life and vibrancy.

IMG_1402.JPG
High in vitamin C, lemons are also excellent for the immune system. Photo credit: Grace Kerfoot

So frost your cookies heavily, sip hot chocolate and dig into those family-favorite recipes you save for this time of year. When your body starts to feel sluggish, recharge and refresh with this superfood winter salad and keep on celebrating.

Superfood Salad

Makes 2 large or 4 small servings

2 cups kale leaves, stems removed

4 small or 2 large beets (red or gold)

1 cup parsley, packed

1/2 cup pomegranate seeds

Juice of 1/2 a lemon

1 tbsp. honey

2 tbsp. olive oil

1 large pinch of salt

1 pinch of black pepper

1/2 cup toasted pumpkin/walnut seeds

food2WEB.jpg

1. Thinly chop kale into ribbons and place them in a large bowl. Peel the beets, halve them and slice them into thin matchsticks; add them to the kale. Coarsely chop the parsley and add that to the bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and massage everything with your hands until the kale is slightly wilted and everything is mixed.

2. Serve the salad as a side dish or make it a meal by adding cooked whole grains and avocado slices to the mix.

Grace Kerfoot can be reached at [email protected] or @gracekerf on Twitter.