‘An apple a day’ more than just healthy

Photo credit: Bobbie Rae Jones

Photo credit: Bobbie Rae Jones

Joann Chevaillier

About a year and half ago I was going through a time when my labido was in overdrive, and for the life of me I didn’t know why.

I started looking into what I was eating to see if that had anything to do with my sex drive. I was mostly eating local foods I could find at the farmers market. The first food I looked into were beets, they are one of my favorite foods and I found they were considered an aphrodisiac.

Aphrodisiacs come in many different flavors and textures. They not only give a little edge to the sex drive but also encourage adventure.

Some aphrodisiacs I have found at the Chico Farmers Market are:

• Pomegranates are the first on this list. In mythology it is said the first pomegranate was planted by Aphrodite who aphrodisiacs are named after. They are also high in zinc which is good for men and their sex drive.
  • Apples have long been know to be good for us, but on Independent Irish News, Alice Philpson found apples may be better than we knew. She reports on a study at Santa Chiara Regional Hospital that discovered that a compound phloridzin “is found in apples and is similar to the female sex hormone estradiol. Estradiol plays a large role in sexual arousal.”
  • My favorite: beets. It is said that “Aphrodite ate beets to enhance her appeal,” according to Tori Avery at The History Kitchen. Beets have “high amounts of boron, a trace mineral that increases the level of sex hormones in the body,” Avery said.
  • Avocados translated into the Aztec language is ahuácatl, which means testicles, said Dale Carson, writing for Indian Country. This creamy food helps to stimulate testosterone and estrogen in both men and women.
  • Honey makes me think of sex with its thick and smooth texture, sweet flavor and rich coloring. Honey is rich in B vitamins and also contains boron which can pump up desire. It might also defend against allergies.
  • Ginger, according to Stylist works as a “stimulant to the circulatory system, increasing blood flow to the genitals … this all being good news when it comes to sex.”
  • Some aphrodisiacs that can’t or may not be found at our local market are:
  • Oysters have many benefits and are a well-known aphrodisiac. Nina Ellias, author of “8 Foods Proven to Give Your Libido a Very Happy Boost,” said that oysters have a healthy dose of vitamin B-12 that for men enlarges their blood vessels, which will keep him going stronger longer.
  • Chili peppers are spicy and warm the body from the inside-out increasing blood flow. One of the best ways I’ve enjoyed the pop of chili pepper is in a cup of hot chocolate. It’s also referred to as Mexican hot chocolate, very tasty.

There are so many different aphrodisiacs. I encourage you to go out and use your senses to find what awakens your passion. It can be a sensual experience on your own or with a partner. Take time to notice the smells, colors, textures and the flavors, and it can be a very sexual experience.

Joann Chevaillier can be reached at [email protected] or @jmc_8284 on Twitter

One Response to “‘An apple a day’ more than just healthy”

1. Smithd22 on August 4th, 2017 7:19 am

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point. You clearly know what youre talking about, why throw away your intelligence on just posting videos to your weblog when you could be giving us something enlightening to read? acagagcfdedcagdf

[Reply]

• ‘An apple a day’ more than just healthy

Kegels are the next best thing to better sex

How to live the life of luxury as a college student

• Columns

Podcast: Tinder U and taking fashion risks

Swipe left on Tinder U

Vegan student on a budget; tips and tricks

‘An apple a day’ more than just healthy