Let’s get physical

Photo credit: Helen Suh

When I am in school everything else seems to be put on hold, and sadly this includes working out and other physical activities. For some reason I get it in my head that I am to busy and don’t have time for it.

Not being active creates many problems for me. I am prone to fighting depression, turning to alcohol to soothe and other bad habits when I get in this routine.

And the lack of activity decreases my desire to be frisky and have someone shake my peach tree.

I always forget how much I need the extra activity until I get back in the gym, go for a hike, bike ride or something that gets me worked up and sweaty.

Physical activity can do a lot to my sex life and I am betting for others too.

• Can you go the distance? Improving cardiovascular health can improve longevity and stamina.
  • Yoga can be amazing for more than just meditation and stretching. It can also improve a person’s flexibility for some of those fun positions. The ones that make me wonder: how does that work?
  • It’s all in the hips. There are many things to do that can stretch and work the hips and help lubricate the hip joints so a person is not as likely to get an annoying cramp.
  • Exercise can help a person get to know their own body better as well as how to move it. Having a good workout mix can also help with this.
  • Hurts so good. This is how I feel when I get sore after a workout, and it can be the same after amazing sex. During sex I tend to use muscles that I don’t normally use and it’s good to keep them in shape.
  • Dancing is another great way to loosen up the body, get cardio and a great time to tease my partner. Playing with the fact we are in public and my partner can look and touch to an extent but can’t go any further can add a little more heat for later.

Along with the things mentioned above there are other things I notice after working out. My skin becomes more sensitive to touch probably due to the increased blood flow I experience after working out. I also get a huge boost to my confidence, and I’m not so down on myself for what I feel are my shortcomings.

Exercise is also something that is a priority with my friends and my boyfriend. My best friend and I don’t get a lot of time together so we workout together. She and I will walk her dogs, go for bike rides, and our favorite, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai. My partner and I also have active dates. After making the commitment to not use my car, I found Chico is super walkable and rideable.

There are so many benefits to being active and many can add up to really good sex. One of my favorite rewards is when I have been putting in the time to take care of myself, and my boyfriend can pick me up kuala-style and hold me against a wall. That gives me goose bumps just fantasizing about it, yum.

Joann Chevaillier can be reached at [email protected] or @jmc_8284 on Twitter.