Cardio ‘Cat: Telling your old shoes to take a hike

Risa Johnson
Risa Johnson

Few feelings are sweeter than slipping on a new pair of running shoes — good ones anyway.

The key to finding the right, long-lasting pair is by actually going to an athletic store and getting fitted. Running shoes need to be replaced every 300 to 500 miles, depending on shoe type and running style, according to Runner’s World.

Using old shoes increases the risk of injury, so keeping track of miles is definitely a good idea.

I recently purchased a pair of Asics Gel-Kayano 20 from Feet Fleet and got my first pair of insoles, because of pain in my feet and ankles on long runs. I probably said “I love my new shoes” at least 10 times since.

A few years ago, I went to get fitted for the first time. I learned that I needed a size and a half larger, thanks to my narrow, nearly-flat feet and over-pronating gait. Lovely.

The difference was remarkable — it made me excited and more motivated to run because my feet were happy, which turns out to be really important.

People can be picky with brands. My favorite in the past have been Brooks and Asics, because I need a high stability shoe.

I choose what’s comfortable but shoe fads are always present. I’ve never understood the buzz about Nike+, the combination of a wristband sensor, and the Nike+ Running App.

The $20 sensor records your distance, pace and calories burned—which is what the Nike+ and many other apps do for free.

So quality running shoes are usually regarded as expensive. How much does it cost for a decent shoe?

Some editors from Runner’s World went out and compared shoes from a wide variety of prices and found that any adequate running shoe was at least $40.

They went to Walmart, Target, Sears, Sports Authority and online at Amazon for the test.

Some athletic stores in Chico that carry running shoes include:

Fleet Fleet Sports, 241 Main St.

Big 5 Sporting Goods, 1717 Mangrove Ave.

Chico Sports Ltd, 698 Mangrove Ave.

Dick’s Sporting Goods, 1922 E. 20th St.

Finish Line, 1950 E. 20th St. (in the Chico Mall)

Foot Locker, Chico Mall

Happy feet are important — keep track of miles and prevent injuries by replacing with the right running shoes.

Risa Johnson can be reached at rjohnson@theorion.com or @risapisa on Twitter.