May the fourth: A pop culture collision comes to campus

It might be

It might be "May the Fourth," but it's also Wednesday and opening night for “The Addams Family” musical. Photo credit: Christine Zuniga

Christine Zuniga

May the fourth is consistently an opportunity for “Star Wars” fans every year, but this year it happens to fall on the Wednesday of opening night for “The Addams Family,” Chico State’s School of the Arts’ spring 2016 musical. Inevitably, the pop cultural references are strong with this campus.

While Prime Time Productions is taking advantage of today by showing “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” the musical and its cast are stealing some of the thunder by also attracting visiting CSU Chancellor Timothy White before his scheduled open forum.

The production is turning out to be grander than expected, as Krysta Rodriguez, the original Wednesday Addams in the Broadway production of “The Addams Family” musical, visited Chico on Monday to watch the dress rehearsal and give a critique of the performance.

“The Addams Family” performances take place May 4-7 at 7:30 p.m. and May 8 at 2 p.m. in Laxson Auditorium.

Christine Zuniga can be reached at [email protected] or @kissssteen on Twitter.