• Students are trickling back to the third floor after renovations are complete. Photo taken by Amy Blair Feb. 19.

Meriam Library third floor is back in business

• The Chico Seed Orchard nature trail is about one mile long, paved and surrounded by a variety of trees with an interesting historical background. Photo by Heather Taylor on Feb. 3, 2024.

New trail of thought: Chico Seed Orchard

• Chico State baseball celebrates a hard-fought win over Montana State Billings. Taken by Lukas Mann on Feb. 8.

Revamped Chico State baseball squad off to undefeated start

• Wildcats play. Taken by Milca Elvira Chacon.

Chico State men’s basketball weekend recap: A triumph and setback on the road

• Students wait in line for the Harvester food truck. Taken by Jolie Asuncion Sept. 22, 2022.

15% of Sales: Associated Students Dining Services agreement

Juvenile threatens violent action against school; police enforcing no-tolerance policy

Threats of a shooting at Chico High were reported, police say, from a juvenile who posed on Snapchat with a gun and said he might “shoot up” the school. Photo credit: Tisha Cheney

According to Chico Police, a Chico High student spread threats that he was prepared to shoot up his school on Feb. 23.

According to the incident report, students claimed the juvenile came to class stating “This is the day I’m going to shoot up the school.” The juvenile was confronted by faculty, searched, but denied that such threats were ever made.

No weapons were found on the student, yet a picture of the juvenile posing with a double barrel shotgun later surfaced from the Snapchat app, found by school faculty.

This has become a common complaint recently with approximately four other cases occurring over the last six weeks, according to Sergeant Benjamin Love of the Chico Police Department.

Love stated that school reaction has been to take a no-tolerance response towards even mild statements, in light of recent tragedies as in Parkland Florida where 17 students and adults were slaughtered on Feb. 14.

“In these cases Chico Police responds through open communication between the school, parents and police to determine if there is an immediate threat and access to weapons,” said Love. “At the least students will be suspended, in many cases they are expelled.”

In response, Chico High stated that no lockdown was necessary in response to the recent incident and any action taken against the student could not be released.

Tisha Cheney can be reached at [email protected] or @orionnnews_TC on Twitter.