#BratzChallenge: A false image of beauty

Let’s go back to the good ol’ days when toys were the key to our heart. Two words: Bratz Dolls. Ring a bell? As a child, being gifted a Bratz Doll made you the coolest kid on the block. Following their first release in 2001, Bratz became known as the most influential fashion doll for young girls everywhere.

Well they’re back and my inner child is screaming. Today, Bratz Dolls have made a huge comeback on social media with the #BratzChallenge. This time not for fashion, but instead for their makeup. Truth be told, I am not living for it.

Using makeup to change your physical appearance is not okay. It distorts the definition of beauty by inviting humans to look like a doll. Accepting this challenge is mimicking unachievable beauty without the help of apps like Facetune to enhance our facial features.

Sadly, our society as a whole struggles to understand or accept a single definition of what beauty means. Challenges like these send a negative message to young girls who feel the pressure of conforming or are judged based on what they look like.

Is it entirely wrong? No. In a sense, using makeup to transform into a plastic doll can be a form of art. What is wrong is taking #BratzChallenge to another level by physically pretending to be someone else.

People also have the audacity to mimic custom dolls, which are intended to make others with certain conditions feel included, like Vitiligo. Why do people believe it is okay to use mimic to health conditions? It is disrespectful and quite frankly an embarrassment.

The #BratzChallenge fails to represent what makeup is actually intended to do. Makeup is supposed to be a boost of confidence to those who choose to use it correctly.

Janette Estrada can be reached at [email protected] or @Jane_11e on Twitter