Homeless shelter to open near campus, Chico State administration in opposition

The new shelter which is projected to open in June will be on the corner of 4th and Orange streets, right across from the train station. Photo credit: Kendall George

Kendall George

President Gayle Hutchinson sent out a campus-wide email Friday explaining the university’s opposition to a new low-barrier homeless shelter on the corner of 4th and Orange streets. In this email, she attached two letters that she wrote to the city council, expressing her priority for student’s safety as well as encouraging the city to pick a new spot for this permanent homeless shelter.

“Our concerns should not be misconstrued into ones which disparage a population as criminals or predators simply because of their housing status,” Hutchinson said in a letter to city council. “However, it is the very nature of a low-barrier shelter that creates our greatest concern.”

On Tuesday, the proposal for a new shelter was introduced to the council and was voted in majority support. The proposed shelter would be funded by a $1 million grant from the Walmart Foundation and is expected to open June 15.

Although Hutchinson and Chico State administration are in opposition to the shelter being opened so close to campus, they want campus and community to know that they are in support of the shelter.

“ Our first commitment to the students who attend our University and to our faculty and staff is to provide a safe environment that fosters learning and growth.”

What do you think about the new shelter proposal in proximity to campus? Tweet your opinion to @theorion_news.

Kendall George can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @kendallmgeorge.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Homeless shelter to open near campus, Chico State administration in opposition”

1. Janice mueller on April 13th, 2019 4:16 pm

I don’t understand why the college is concerned The Jesus center is across the street from a senior apartment complex & about 3 blocks from an elementary school No one seems to have a problem with that. Why should the college students be treated different from seniors or children?

2. Luisa Garza on April 15th, 2019 6:50 pm

Load of selfish junk. Bring each department into the shelter to learn first hand. Embrace them. Shame.

• Homeless shelter to open near campus, Chico State administration in opposition

Two pedestrians robbed and beaten at gunpoint adjacent to campus

Paradise Cook-Off showcases The Boys & Girls Club’s resiliency

Passionate Chico residents and city council members discuss cannabis and climate change

Storm ravages Chico State, Whitney Hall left without power, campus buildings flooded

Tornado and flash flood warnings issued

Possible measles exposure locations on Chico State campus and throughout Butte County

Campus asks for responsible participation in Cesar Chavez Day

Students walkout for #ClimateUprising as part of a national movement

Man tazed while singing and dancing in the street