Readers, Digest: Mini mango fish taco bowls

Christinasachin.jpg
Christina Sachin
DSCN2002.JPG
Make tortilla bowls from scratch and fill them with spicy tilapia and a sweet mango salsa for a fresh take on traditional tacos.Photo credit: Christina Saschin

Next “Taco Tuesday,” make your own taco bowls from scratch. Fill the mini taco bowls with tilapia and mango for an additional twist. Adding mango is an easy way to add more fruit to your diet. Mangoes contain vitamin A, which improves eye health.

FISH TACO BOWLS WITH MANGO AND TILAPIA
Total time: 30 minutes
Yield: 2 filled mini taco bowls
1 cup instant corn masa flour
1/2 cup warm water
A pinch of salt
1 tilapia fillet
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 mango
1/2 tomato
1 green onion
1/2 avocado
1 lime

Heat oven to 350 F. To make the corn tortillas, combine the masa with water until it has a dough-like consistency. Divide the dough in half and roll into two balls.

To flatten the dough, place a piece of plastic wrap on a cutting board and cover the ball of dough with another piece of plastic wrap. Place a plate on top of the ball and press down to flatten out the dough. Repeat with second ball of dough.

Cook each tortilla in a skillet over medium heat for 30 seconds or until browned and no longer sticky.

Place tortillas between the forms of an upside-down muffin pan to create a bowl shape. Put the two tortillas in the oven for 15 minutes or until they hold the bowl shape.

Once you have made the tortilla bowls, it is time to fill them. Fry the tilapia with a teaspoon of olive oil in a frying pan over medium to low heat. Season each side with ground cayenne pepper and paprika while cooking. Cook 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside.

Dice the mango, avocado and tomato while the fish cools. Then, cut the green onion. Set aside. Gently pull the tilapia apart.

Using equal parts of all ingredients, fill the two taco bowls with tilapia, tomato, avocado, mango and green onion. Finish by squeezing lime over each mini taco bowl.

Christina Saschin can be reached at [email protected] or @Stina127 on Twitter.