Limit alcohol consumption, not standards

mugshot.jpg
Veronica De La Cruz

It’s called beer goggles, and most can agree that it’s something that should be completely avoided when drinking alcohol.

Beer goggles are an illusion some people get when they’re intoxicated. It results in believing that someone is more attractive than they actually are. With my experience of going to parties at Chico State, I’ve definitely seen some bad cases of beer goggles.

Not only is it uncomfortable to watch, but it also tricks people into thinking that someone is attracted to them, when in reality it’s just the alcohol talking. I can’t even imagine how awkward it is for an individual to sober up and realize the person who they thought was hot is really not.

I remember trying on beer goggles in seventh grade health class and thinking to myself how much I wanted to avoid ever thinking people looked the way they had appeared, and I’ve still managed to avoid it from happening to me.

With the group of friends that I have now, I’m sure I won’t ever have to worry about making a mistake like hooking up with someone I wouldn’t normally go after because they would never allow me to.

More students should realize that they don’t have to get completely hammered to get someone to notice them. Chances are, the way they act when they’re intoxicated is nothing like they actually are when they’re sober.

Veronica De La Cruz can be reached at [email protected] or @Veronica_dlc on Twitter.