• Elodie, played by Millie Bobby Brown, in the March 8 Netflix release of “Damsel.” Courtesy: Allied Global Marketing/Netflix

He said, she said: ‘Damsel’

• Romani Wedding - Photo Courtesy of Efigenia Galea.

‘My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding:’ A shallow depiction of the Roma community

Working Wildcat: Transitioning from college to career

Workingwildcat.jpg

With the looming uncertainty of what to expect after graduation, life post-college can be overwhelming.

As you transition from textbooks and buck nights into long workdays and financial obligations, keep these tips in mind to help ease you into the next phase of your life.

1. Don’t feel entitled

A college degree has a lot of value, but it doesn’t save you from starting at the bottom. Don’t think that you’re too good for an entry-level position just because you have a diploma. You have the education, but you lack experience and you need both to move up in a company.

2. Put in the extra effort

If your motto in college was C’s get degrees, that attitude will not serve you well in the job market. Hard work and dedication are crucial components of success and you will need both to advance in your career.

3. Accept failures

Success and failure go hand in hand and you will encounter both. It’s best to think of your failures as learning experiences that will help you in the future.

4. Ask for help when you need it

No one expects you to know everything just because you graduated from college. If you’re having a hard time or need advice, ask for it. College to career is a hard transition that often requires advice and comfort from a friend or family member.

5. Make time for fun

Starting a career can be exhausting but it shouldn’t completely consume you. This is a time in your life that you should celebrate and enjoy.

I started this column in the hopes that I would aid Chico State graduates in their transition beyond these brick walls. But my words are only useful if you turn my tips into actions.

So my last bit of advice is this — whatever you do, be great at it.

Ariel Hernandez can be reached at [email protected] or @aj7uriel on Twitter.