• Photo by: Jé Shoots from Pexels

10 non-Christmas songs to get you in the holiday spirit

• Miles Daniels shooting wide open mid-range vs. the Broncos.

Afifi records career-high in win over the Broncos

• Image courtesy of Pexels.

Taking a breather

• Participant on a exercise bicycle working with a student volunteer at the BE:WEL Program.

Service learning program gives Chico State students new perspective on personalized care

• Speedy Burrito Mexican Grill cart sells food at the intersection of Ivy and West Second Streets. Taken by Ariana Powell on Oct. 6.

‘Burrito guy’ review: burritos for all

Tinder doesn’t bring true love

mugshot2.jpg
Veronica De La Cruz

While some people fall in love at first sight, most young adults are now falling in love at first swipe.

But is it really love?

I know I’m not the first one to admit I’ve tried an app like Tinder. All my single friends were talking about it, so I thought, why not? I’ll give it a try. It seems easy enough.

A person picks the best four pictures from their Facebook, and if another person comes across one of those photos, they can either slide the red heart to like it or the red “x” to dislike.

Those who already have firsthand experience with dating apps are well aware of the cheesy pickup lines guys will use to spark up a conversation. I don’t know about some girls, but I can do without a guy asking me if I have a mirror in my pocket because he can see himself in my pants.

With these apps focusing solely on a person’s looks, it’s no surprise that people aren’t taking those they’re attracted to very seriously, and instead they’re more direct about just wanting to hook up.

I know this isn’t the case for everyone who chooses to use a dating app. I have a good friend who’s madly in love with a guy she met on Tinder, and they both agree it was the best thing that could’ve happened to them.

I, on the other hand, would rather avoid an app where I’ll be judged simply on the few photos from Facebook I choose to share, and hope that some guy within a certain distance will want to hook up with me.

I think I’ll just leave it up to fate to meet my Prince Charming.

Veronica De La Cruz can be reached at [email protected] or @Veronica_dlc on Twitter.